• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Are There Flyers Out There?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
I am needing flyers based on the following topics:

1) What is the difference between designated appraisers and non-designated appraisers.

2) What is PMI and what can I do for it.

3) What the Loan Officer doesn't want you to know.

4) What the Real estate salesman doesn't want you to know.

5) How can an appraisal affect my retirement.

6) How can I find an appraiser I can trust.

I want these topics specifically as I am getting ready to do some home shows and fairs and am wanting to show people that appraisals are not just for loan officers. If you don't have a flyer made up, just post some thoughts and I will put them up on the aceappraiser.org site.

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
You might want to get rid of negative conotations ("things they don't want you to know").
Maybe something like "Things you should know." "Things you need to remember to ask your LO"

"Appraiser I can trust" sort of indicates there are a lot of dishonest appraisers...this may not be the message to spread. How about how to find an appraiser that meets my needs.

I would not get into any type of war over designations, lack of, or which one is best. This could be a no win situation for you. I have always found that the minute I talk about how great I am or what I have accomplished, someone nearby can top me. Just the use of the designation I would think would be adequate.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
TE....one of the principles of marketing is you have a brief moment to attract the consumers attention. Once the attention is caught, what you say then will determine whether or not you are successful at marketing your idea.

If you don't begin just a little confrontational, how do you grab the attention of the mass of people walking by?

How confrontational shold we be in a setting like a home show?

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Greg,

I agree you only have moments to grab attention. For me, if a person starts to cut down their competition or point out flaws in the other guy my instinct is to turn and walk....(I guess that is why I HATE POLITICAL ADS...they are all negative and always cut the other guy down).. I want to hear information I don't know or info that will benefit me. By saying what should be, you automatically cut down the guy that does it wrong--you don't need to utter the words, the customer will figure it out.

Forget writing brochures that are wordy, people will not weed through a lot of verbage. Try to use bullet items only. On any given topic I would not list more than 6 bullets. This they will read & remember you.

Here's a side note about working the home shows. I used to sell mobile homes on a part time basis. The boss would have us work every darn county fair and home show. After tracking it for 3-4 years, we realized we had never made a sale as the result of customer first meeting us at the show. The people at these shows were there to 'kick tires and pick their teeth'.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
T, this is what I am thinking as well. Every flyer put out by "orgainzations" that I have read are so wordy that I feel the typical home show visitorwill look at it and pitch it.....or put it in the bag that the local phone company gave them and forgotten about. I think some flyers that deal with half a dozen points, a brief explanation, a couple of cartoon characters or pictures, and that is it. I've seen ads that try to deal with all the approaches, the process, the licensing, the types .......the AI has a library full of books on this stuff and people want to condense it down to 5 or 6 columns so it will fit on an 8 1/2 X 11 three columns per side...so they reduce it to 9 pt type, print it out, and it gets tossed without being read.

What I want is something that demands immediate attention....."What your LO doesn't want you to know" is an alarm warning them that they may be taken advantage of. Inside a bullet: Your loan officer works on commission. Then a brief (nor more than two or three lines) explanation. Then another bullet: His first concern is your credit worthiness. Explaination. Another Bullet: His job is to ................... Explaination. Another Bullet: He can pressure the appraiser by............ Explaination. Another Bullet: You need the knowledge .............

And this is why I am bringing it here.....I am seeking ideas on making flyers that meet an immediate, create a call for action......not put people to sleep.

Ed Potrafke

Sophomore Member
I'd stay away from the negative attention grabbers. There is bound to be realtors and mortgage brokers at the home shows. I know that if someone was portraying me in a bad light, I wouldn't want to do business with them. It could end up giving A.C.E. a bad name within the realtor and mortgage circles.

As far as what to put on the flyers goes. My personal experience with home shows has been that whatever I didn't read, when I picked up the flyer, ended up in the circular file when I got home. So you may want to keep to a paragraph or two.

David Riggs

Sophomore Member
I would like to ask the appraisers out there:

1.Has anyone tryed marketing at a HOME SHOW(or like) before?

2.How did it go?

I have been to several in tulsa over the last few years and never seen appraisers. I was surprised. Is it because most of the biz is NOT from the public? Is it because they are so overrun with biz they don't have the time or what?

TIA :huh:

hal380

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Hello Greg:

If you go to Google you will find a section called Google Answers. There you can ask specific questions, like you did in your post. They charge a fee for their research and you can stipulate how much is the max you would pay.

So for your question "What is it that the Real Estate agent dosen't want you to know?" you might set a $10.00 limit. Your total cost might be as low as $100 - 120.00 and you will always have the information forever.

Just a thought

Regards

Hal

Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks