• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Are they changing the length of Exams in 2008?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammySammerson

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Michigan
Quick question, I am going for my certified general exam for the first time, and someone told my coworker that they are changing the exam from 120 some questions to 160? And also increasing the time allowed. Is this true?

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
Appraiser's Exam

I have heard that the new exam is to be an 8 hour exam, half in the morning, half in the afternoon.

I can't recall the source, but as I recall I considered it credible at the time.

Good luck!

Wayne Tomlinson

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
State
Illinois
An additional memory related to the above.

Supposedly the test will actually be in four sections. Two will be in the morning, two in the afternoon.

There was also some thought that the feds have not yet decided just where the cut off will be for pass/fail.

Since the test will be new, they may have to offer the test for some months, then determine from the results of those tests results determine just what will be a passing grade.

Lots of questions, few answers. but it is government work!

Whoops, what I meant is "it's goverment at work"

Wayne Tomllinson

David Molenaar

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Here are the facts about the test & results.

1. The State Licensed & Certified Residential you will be allowed up to 6 hours to take the test.
2. The Certified General you be allowed up to 8 hours to take the test.
3. There are no sections and the test is not broken up. You will sit down and take the test, no breaks.
4. There are approximately 140 questions +/- for all 3 tests.
5. The results for the first several months will take several months due to this being a new test that the Foundation did not pre-test. We are the guinea pigs for this test. Therefore, after doing some analysis of the answers, some of the questions may be thrown out.

If you have any questions, please post them here and I will try to get back to you in a timely fashion. You may also e-mail my office.

Dave Molenaar, SRA, RAA, CRA
Chair, State Board of Real Estate Appraisers.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
According to "Hot Topics" by Justin Morton in Valuation Magazine: "The exam, which will consist of 165 questions, is expected to take up to eight hours to complete and will be significantly more difficult than previous tests."

Furthermore, the passing score has yet to be determined. The testing agency can not create a "cut" score until it receives a certain minimum number of completed tests. It may take weeks to determine the pass - fail score needed.

See page 27 of Valuation for the 4th quarter 2007 for the details.

SammySammerson

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Michigan
This is seriously disgusting... So what they are basically saying is were not really sure what questions will be on the exam, what they will cover, or what the pass fail is??? Furthermore, if you take the exam you will not know whether or not you passed until multiple weeks go by because we have no prior studies in place to qualify a pass/fail cutoff... Is this accurate??? m2: So basically if we fail, it will take a while until we can reschedule...

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Furthermore, if you take the exam you will not know whether or not you passed until multiple weeks go by because we have no prior studies in place to qualify a pass/fail cutoff... Is this accurate??? m2: So basically if we fail, it will take a while until we can reschedule...

That is kind of disturbing......
Until they figure out the pass/fail bench mark, that is when our 12 months should start.......

David Molenaar

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
The reason for the delay in the results is that for the 1st 60+ days, anyone taking this new test will be in a pre-test mode. That is you are the tester for the exam. This is not just Michigan, but for all of the states that use the Appraisal Foundation Test (most of the state are adopting this test). The blame is on the Foundation as they should have been doing this pre-testing this summer. Therefore, you will not get your results back for several months until they (Foundation) knows which questions to take out of the exam.

Dave Smith is correct in that there are 165 questions. I have listed below the Exam Content Outline effective 01/01/2008. This is right from the Appraisal Foundation and AQB

1. Influences on RE Value 5% (for all 3 tests)
2. Legal Consideration 5% (for lic & CR), 4% (CG)
3. Types of Value 5% (lic & CR), 6% (CG)
4. Economic Principles 5% (Lic & CR), 6% (CG)
5. RE Market & Analysis 4% (lic & CR), 5% (CG)
6. Property Description, 11% (lic & CR), 10% (CG)
7. Highest & Best Use, 9% for all 3
8. Math & Statistics, 3% (lic & CR) 4% (CG)
9. Sales Comp Approach, 15% (lic & CR), 10% (CG)
10. Site value, 5% (lic & CR), 4% (CG)
11. Cost Approach, 9% (lic & CR), 6% (CG)
12. Income Approach, 7% (lic & CR) 15% (CG)
13. Valuation of partial interest, 1% for all 3
14. Standards & Ethics, 16% (lic & CR), 15% (CG)

I hope that this answers any questions about the new test. If you have any other questions, please reply or contact me.

Dave Molenaar, SRA, RAA, CRA
Chair, State Board of Real Estate Appraisers

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
For all of you worried, appraisal theory is appraisal theory. Those taking the CG, I suggest studying Ted Whitmer prep guide for MAI. Those studying for CR, License, and even CG I suggest the Hondros Learning package, they've got flashcards, CD-ROM.

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
...The blame is on the Foundation as they should have been doing this pre-testing this summer. Therefore, you will not get your results back for several months until they (Foundation) knows which questions to take out of the exam....

Well that blows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks