• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Are we in a National Recession?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Title says it all.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
If you are in the appraisal business, it is not a recession, it is an outright depression...

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I think if not, we are sure headed that way. But my wife just finished her numbers in her department at the store and business was up the entire year over last year. She had one of her best Christmas Seasons to date.

The farmers in Wisconsin had the best corn and bean year they had in years. With prices up from last year. Crop ground is renting higher.

Yet I get a general feeling that things are not as rosy as they should be. Lots of things going up in cost.

Health care is going to kill us off. I was just talking with my wife last night if it was not for her health insurance, I might just be dead from not affording the cost of health care. That one little C-pack rents for $600 a month, my meds would be another $200 a month, Doc would cost me $600 a month with all his test he keeps runing and the service calls and he tells me I not in that bad a health, except for the weight. So how does a person with out insurance afford the cost. You pay or you die.

Wages droping, cost going up. So I really don't know. Just trying to re-invent myself and my business model for retirement.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Health care is increasing at double-digit rates, while the ins. companies routinely deny coverage. Oil hit $100 / barrell, with $125/BBL forecast. How does $4+ a gallon sound? Utilities will jump accordingly, as will food costs. Conversely, businesses are outsourcing, or laying off people. Circuit City fired everyone making over $9 per hour and told them they could come back at $8 with no raises, no benefits.

To those in the top, it's uncomfortable. To those making $50K or less, yes, it's going to be a depression.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Delaware
God Bless (?) NPR....
Long show today on why we need national health care, and will have it in 5-7 years.
My opinion --
=== If you think Health Care is expensive now, just wait until its Free. ===

murray stroupe

Professional Status
General Public
State
Tennessee
Re; Exactly, & the places where it is so called ''free''; its inferior

God Bless (?) NPR....
Long show today on....... national health care.......
My opinion --
=== If you think Health Care is expensive now, just wait until its Free. ===
============
Health care could get so exspensive;
people will actually take some good medical advice,
exercise ,
& dont be suprised when junk food results in junk health,
& stop wasteful ''no deductable'' insurance.Not to mention billing errors.

I need to lose a few pounds myself, I am working on it, walking,LOL;
I get free vets health care, but never no never confuse the idea a good DR or good insurance plan equals good health.

The man that started weather channel called ''global warming the biggest fraud ever'' ;maybe except for calling nitrate infested hot dogs ''food''.LOL

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
Health care is increasing at double-digit rates, while the ins. companies routinely deny coverage. Oil hit $100 / barrell, with $125/BBL forecast. How does $4+ a gallon sound? Utilities will jump accordingly, as will food costs. Conversely, businesses are outsourcing, or laying off people. Circuit City fired everyone making over $9 per hour and told them they could come back at $8 with no raises, no benefits.

To those in the top, it's uncomfortable. To those making $50K or less, yes, it's going to be a depression.

I couldn't believe the price of groceries this weekend. $7.99/lb for heirloom tomatoes-at Safeway! $3.00/lb for apples, a bag of salad was $4.00.

To those making $50k or more, your taxes are going to eat up most of your income.

MARK JOLLIFF

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I couldn't believe the price of groceries this weekend. $7.99/lb for heirloom tomatoes-at Safeway! $3.00/lb for apples, a bag of salad was $4.00.

To those making $50k or more, your taxes are going to eat up most of your income.
Groceries are ridiculous! I started going old fashioned like chopping the lettuce myself. You might laugh but it doesn't seem that long ago when that was your only option. someone told me once that you waste your money on the inside aisles. Everything you need is on the outside. Well now EVERYTHING is expensive. I'm italian and I always had a big garden even as a little kid. I'm going to get rid of a portion of my new lawn this spring and go back to gardening. Nothing better than a tomatoe out of the garden. The ones in the store taste like wood!

murray stroupe

Professional Status
General Public
State
Tennessee
Re; Home grown & DR said 2 apples a day keeps DR away

================
Some man ,the other day in Save-a Lot bought back some pak of tomatoes for a refund;
his wife had a temper fit @ the price. LOL
Stiil have some left home grown left.

Sounds like a rip off on apples, Caligirl;
Washington State usually runs sales Sept thru now.

And CA is lots closer than TN;Unless those are ORGANIC.

Premium priced Granny Smith sell for $3.39 -3.99 lately for 3lbs bag

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I would consider the decision to take a vacation away from home as an indication of discretionary spending and a indication of economic well-being.
I've been in Lake Tahoe since last week (leaving tomorrow). Granted, the snow isn't that good, but this is the least crowded I've ever seen it during a holiday period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks