• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Arizona Appraisal Exam Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonVG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Hi guys!! This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a while.

I grew up in a family of Arizona appraisers (my dad is certified general, my big brother is certified residential and mom and little brother are both licensed residential). I'll be the 5th appraiser in the family, but I have a question that nobody in my family can answer (since they were licensed ages ago) and the chances of me getting a timely answer from the Arizona Board of Appraisal are slim to none... I'm sure you all know that already though...LOL! m2:

Here’s my issue: I did most of my appraisal schooling at ASREB over 2 years ago, but this fall I took the last class I needed to finish my hours for my certification. Well the class ended up being split over 2 months (I had to miss 1 day for a family funeral) and when I went to make up the missed day during the next class rotation, the class had changed books and instructors and they were learning the new 2008 test requirement material.:unsure: I was pretty surprised at how different it was from the class I’d been in just the month prior.

Anyway, fast forward to the school exam for that class... The school had 2 exams on file: One exam was for the people who'd taken the class prior to October and one was for those who took the class after October. The girls at the front dest at ASBREB accidentally gave me the newer version of the test when I went to take the exam and I was absolutely freaked out and totally lost by the questions. I did about 10 of them and each answer was a complete and total blind guess. :shrug: I was in a full blown panic thinking that I’d suddenly turned stupid or that I’d missed reading a very important chapter in my class book. Anyway, I went up to the front desk and asked them if I had the right test and as it turns out I didn't. *big sigh of relief* They switched it for the older test and I breezed through (and passed) that test in 20 minutes flat.

So… If the school class exams were so vastly different based off of the 2007/2008 change in standards do you think the State exams are going to as vastly different too? I would think they are.

I'm asking this because I submitted my application in late December and received my invitation to test just last week and now I'm in a panic thinking that because I'm testing in 2008 I'll be expected to test to the new 2008 educational standards even though I learned all my material prior to the new standards.

Do you think they are making exceptions for people who fell in the education/testing cracks, like me?

If you've read this much, bless you. It's a novel, I know. I have a call into the Arizona Board to ask about this, but like I said the chances of getting them to reply in a timely manner (if at all) are very poor so I'm hoping another Arizona appraiser can guide me...:fiddle:

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arizona
Shannon, I can't help you with your test question, but I have you beat in the genetics department. At last count I am related by blood or marriage to 14 (fourteen) other appraisers. All but two live in AZ (no relation to those guys in Missouri). Mom, dad, brother, sister, their spouses, three uncles, one cousin, my wife, her brother, sister, and niece. Four are retired and no longer licensed. Oh, and my niece is taking her test this month. That will make 15.

Now that I look at what I wrote, it seems vaguely creepy.....I'll have to think about this.:eek:

ShannonVG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Wow, Dave. You have me beat in the appraisal family lineage, hands down!! :)

Ultraviolet

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Arizona
Hi Shannon,

It is my understanding that any portion (education, experience or exam) not completed in 2007 is subject to the new rules.

You should check with the board for confirmation.

There are only 5 appraisers in my extended family ... :icon_mrgreen:

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
No help here sorry. And I don't even have any relatives that are appraisers. I'm the only one. :Eyecrazy:

Fourteen! Geez... Talk about nepotism. :rof:

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arizona
Fourteen! Geez... Talk about nepotism. :rof:

Never mind nepotism, think of the inbreeding possibilities!

Look at it this way: family reunion + one hand grenade = 0.5% fewer appraisers in Arizona.:beer:

ShannonVG

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Thanks guys. I found a little blurb on the Appraisal Foundation's website that stomped on (and then shredded) any last dregs of hope I'd been clinging to with regards to my test.
http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s_appraisal/bin.asp?CID=292&DID=1118&DOC=FILE.PDF

National Examination Q&As
Q. I took an “old exam” in 2007 but did not pass. Does that mean I need to take the new exam, or since I started in 2007 can I still take the “old exam”?

A. As of January 1, 2008, only the new National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examinations may be given. Any exam versions offered prior to January 1, 2008, can no longer be utilized. Therefore, you will
need to take the new exam.

Q. I took an “old exam” in 2007 but did not pass. Does that mean my application for a credential is no longer valid? Will I now have to meet the 2008 requirements?

A. The answer depends on how your state appraiser regulatory agency chose to implement the 2008 Real Property Appraiser Qualification Criteria - using the “firm date” or “segmented” approach. Under the “firm
date” method, applicants had to satisfy all of the requirements for a license (education, experience, and examination) prior to January 1, 2008, or are required to meet all 2008 Criteria for the credential. If your
state chose this method, they may require you to reapply under the 2008 Criteria. Under the “segmented” approach, each of the components (education, experience, and examination) is considered individually. For example, applicants satisfying all of the educational requirements in 2007
would be considered to have satisfied the educational component and would only have to satisfy the 2008 requirements for experience and examination. If your state elected this method to implement the 2008
Criteria, they may not require you to reapply. In any case, you’ll need to check with your state appraiser regulatory agency to determine how your
application is being processed.

Q. I took a new National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examination after January 1, 2008, and was told that my exam results would be posted on the website of The Appraisal Foundation. Is this correct?

A. No. Exam results will be issued by your state’s examination vendor once the cut (passing) scores have been statistically validated. Exam scores will not be posted on the website of The Appraisal Foundation.

Q. I took a new National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examination after January 1, 2008, and was told that my exam results would not be available for several weeks. Why is that?

A. The new National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examinations were developed with established cut (passing) scores. However, it is necessary to statistically validate these cut scores by analyzing results from actual candidates taking the exam. As soon as enough test scores are accumulated on a nationwide basis, the analysis will be conducted and the exam results will be communicated to candidates by their state’s
examination vendor. This process should be completed by mid-February 2008, but could be sooner based on how many people take the exam.
Once this initial validation is completed, candidates taking exams in the future will be able to know their results instantaneously.

Q. I contacted my state about taking a new National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examination and they told me that all testing is now done by The Appraisal Foundation. Is this correct?

A. No. The Appraiser Qualifications Board (AQB) developed the new National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examinations and The Appraisal Foundation has approved vendors to administer the exam, but
neither the AQB nor The Appraisal Foundation has anything to with the administration of the exam. All issues involving exam scheduling, score reports, location of facilities, etc. are under the purview of the
state appraiser regulatory agency and their contracted exam administrator.

Q. Are the questions that appear on the new National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examinations based on the education required in the 2008 Real Property Appraiser Qualification Criteria? If so, and I was approved to take the exam based on completing pre-2008 education (my state used the “segmented” approach) how do I know what to expect on the exam?

A. All questions on the National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examinations are based on the 2008 Real Property Appraiser Qualification Criteria. This includes the increased number of hours of qualifying education as specified in the Required Core Curriculum.
Because the exams were designed based on the 2008 Criteria, it is possible that some candidates taking the new exams in states that adopted the 2008 Criteria using the “segmented” approach will not have been exposed to all of the education upon which the exams were based. Candidates may refer to Guide Note 1 in the Real Property Appraiser Qualification Criteria handbook for a complete listing of the subject matter that may appear on the exam. :sad:

(How can they put the applicants that fell in the 'education cracks', like me, in such an awful position with regard to the State test?m2: )

Q. Are the USPAP questions that appear on the new National Uniform Licensing and Certification Examinations based on the 2008-09 edition of USPAP?

A. Yes. State licensing and certification examinations are generally updated to reflect changes in USPAP each time a new edition is published. Therefore, the new National Uniform Licensing and Certification
Examinations will incorporate the current edition of USPAP just as previous examinations did whenever a new edition of USPAP was published.

Back in August I talked to one of the people who had assisted in creating the new test questions. He had flow into Phoenix and was teaching a class designed to help applicants pass the appraisal exam, and he said the new exam would be CONSIDERABLY harder to pass.

Then later I was talking to Terry Zajack over at ASREB and he said he'd heard taking the new test could be equated with "running a cheese grater across your lips".

Yay. I'm so encouraged now. :blink:​

*sigh*

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
For your own benefit--you might consider taking the 7 hour USPAP seminar that will be held in Phoenix February 28th, the instructor will be Danny Wiley, the former chair of the Appraisal Standards Board, the top expert in the country. It will be sponsored by the Phoenix Chapter of the NAIFA. Email me if you would like to be placed on an email list of Arizona appraisers that I maintain and send interesting info to whenever some thing of interest comes up. j m s t r a t t o n @ a z n e x . n et

Next Tuesday's chapter meeting will be regarding reseach tools and data available in the Phoenix area--and everyone is invited.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Shannon, I can't help you with your test question, but I have you beat in the genetics department. At last count I am related by blood or marriage to 14 (fourteen) other appraisers. All but two live in AZ (no relation to those guys in Missouri). Mom, dad, brother, sister, their spouses, three uncles, one cousin, my wife, her brother, sister, and niece. Four are retired and no longer licensed. Oh, and my niece is taking her test this month. That will make 15.

Now that I look at what I wrote, it seems vaguely creepy.....I'll have to think about this.:eek:

WOW!! Reading that & my type comments I think I'll just keep quiet, Cause I know some of your relatives & actually like them.

For the one going for the test Just Buck Up & go take it, As with most things, I'm sure it's NOT half as difficult as some try to make it sound. Can't believe the various number of instructors out here that BOOAST about the failure rate of the courses they gave. To me that means the Instructor is
NO GOOD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks