• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Art imitates real life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Last night on THE SOPRANOS the main story line was Tony and friends bought 3 run dounw propertie for $100,000 each and have a scam in place to borrow on them based on some fraudulent appraisals to the tune of $300,000 each. Lots of co-conspiritors...a congressman, a non-profit housing officer, and don't forget Mr. Appraiser. Mr. Appraiser better do what he is told or he will be sleeping with the fishes.

Gosh, inflated appraisals must be more common knowledge than I thought when the Hollywood writers know all about it.

Perhaps the evil appraiser will get WHACKED!

A

Anonymous

Yo!

Us appraisers here in Jersey know better than to disagree with members of the Family. I don't see no problem, the Family is only doing what mortgage companies do. The only difference is the mortgage companies only kill your business if you don't cooperate.

I think that dem rat +++++ Hollywood writers better watch what they say.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I was watching that episode last night with my son. I got so worked up about it he thought I was going to pass out. He commented that "the appraiser was probably going to get a ton of money out of it". When I told him that the appraiser probably wouldn't get anything more than just the normal fee and that the appraiser would probably be the only one to go to jail, he replied "Well, that's pretty stupid". I have to agree.

The thing that gets me is that they throw in the comment about finding such an appraiser so casually, like it was no big deal...

George Hatch

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
thing that gets me is that they throw in the comment about finding such an appraiser so casually, like it was no big deal

Unfortunately, it isn't. I know a participant in a divorce trial who is fishing for an inflated appraisal. Ante is to $50,000 over the first appraisal and she went to a local Realtor who sent her straight to the appraiser she needs to get that figure. The first appraisal (mine) is at a real disadvantage as she has a copy of it, and the new appraiser can see which and how he can get around those comps. He can pick my report apart but I will never see his.

ter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks