• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - CompStak

CompStak is the only database of non-public CRE information that is free for CRE appraisers. Get access to 1M+ analyst-reviewed
lease and sales comps featuring all key deal details — NOI, cap rate, starting and effective rent, and more.

ASB

Joyce Potts

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
You want to make a difference?

I encourage every appraiser to write a letter of recommendation to the Appraisal Foundation on behalf of Pat Turner of Richmond, VA, and his submission for candidacy in support of his appointment to the ASB. His tireless efforts and compassion for the appraisal industry and the consumer are unsurpassed. Over 40 years of appraising, member and chairman of the VA Appraisal Board, Founder and current President of the VA Coalition of Appraisers (VACAP) to name a few of his achievements. The deadline for submission is August 19.

Arika Cole

Board and Councils Program Manager

The Appraisal Foundation

202 624 3072

www.appraisalfoundation.org

[email protected]

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
I have dealt with Pat Turner on several occasions over the past 5-10 years.

I find him to be a true advocate for the profession.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The ASB is all about USPAP. FYI, Mr Turner is not currently listed as being qualified to provide instruction on the subject. Maybe he's taken and passed the course in the past and has accumulated some experience with teaching the course to appraisers - if so that would indicate to some practical and technical competency with the material regardless of his current status on the AQB USPAP Instructor roster. As I understand it the technical competency with the material is a desirable qualification to have to participate on the ASB as an appraiser.

"Appraisal Standards Board
Under the provisions of Title XI of the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery and Enforcement Act of 1989 (FIRREA), the Appraisal Standards Board (ASB) is responsible for writing, amending, and interpreting the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP). The ASB issues Exposure Drafts on proposed changes to USPAP and obtains feedback at public meetings throughout the year in various regions of the country. Additionally, the ASB occasionally issues USPAP Q&As and participates in speaking engagements on request.

The ASB is composed of five to nine members who are appointed by the BOT and may serve up to eight years. Activities of the Board are directed by the Chair, who is appointed by the BOT for a one-year term."

Last edited:

glenn walker

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
No disrespect and he may be a great guy but we need fresh blood with new ideas : )

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
It's not a question of perspectives. It's good for the ASB to have members with diverse perspectives and interests. But that's not enough - the ASB is engaged in promulgating appraisal standards and making them easier for people to understand, easier for people to comply with and easier for users (and state boards) to use as a benchmark for workproduct credibility and individual conduct.

The work of the ASB involves connecting the dots between the concepts and principles involved with the practical applications of appraisal standards in everything we do. They have to have both the aptitude and the interest in writing or editing the material in a manner that cannot be so readily misinterpreted or exploited by the donkeys and the criminals and their attorneys. That means struggling over and tweaking a sentence in a manner so as to reduce the number of ways it can be twisted or even conflict with the underlying concepts and principles. It requires having a clear understanding that those concepts and principles are integral to the role of an appraiser and predate USPAP itself. Any code of conduct for appraisers would have to take these ideas into consideration, and as a result they'll all share a lot of these ideas in common.

The fundamentals we assert don't come from USPAP; USPAP comes from the fundamentals we have asserted. By necessity. Anyone who thinks otherwise has a warped view of the history of our profession.

ASB service is a role that requires considering the existing standards on the conceptual basis, of looking downrange to see how various edits will play out not only in the original scenarios that are prompting any changes but also in any other scenarios that these proposed changes will also affect.

For instance, I freely admit that I'm an instructor more than I am a conceptual thinker. I have no shame in making that admission, either. If I can understand something then I can explain it to others so they can understand it. But my talents as a teacher don't extend to me being capable of actually sussing out the limits of these underlying concepts and principles. I might do okay on a state appraisal board as far as connecting the dots between the laws/regs, USPAP and the appraiser's workproduct or conduct, but the work of the ASB occurs at the next one or two levels up from that. So I probably wouldn't do all that well if I tried to serve as an ASB member. Not to mention the point that working in collaboration with other diverse viewpoints is a totally different skillset of its own, which I have very little experience in.

I don't know Mr Turner at all so I don't know what his skillset is like WRT what it will take to be an effective ASB member. What I do know is that most appraisers - myself included - don't have what it takes to really shine in that role.

Last edited:

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
I almost forgot to mention - this isn't an election or a beauty contest. The Board of Trustees of TAF doesn't care how many letters we send in on behalf of any of these applicants. You guys can vote if you want, but it's not going to alter their selection criteria or have any bearing on their selection.

I mean, if I were going to get interviewed by the BOT for an ASB slot I would expect them to ask me questions like:

• What internal conflicts do you see in USPAP where one section is contradicting another section?
  • Which definitions do you think need editing to more clearly reflect what appraisers do to meet the legitimate interests of their users?
  • What edits or changes do you think need to be made in order to keep abreast with the way technology is changing the way appraisal reports can be communicated?
You know, questions of a technical nature and aiming towards maintaining consistency - and relevance - in a changing environment. Thinking and rationale that will be just as relevant and applicable to situations popping up 10 years from now as already exist today.

Anyone walking into such an interview with a Fannie-centric perspective of what appraising is or isn't is going to find themselves in way over their head. If they even get that far.

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks