• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

asbestos siding

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
does anyone have anything special they do in addendum that they would share? home is built in 1961. This is the first home I've encountered with this and in the shape its in. Thank you.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Kansas
Disclose that you can't visually determine that asbestos is present, recommend that if the client has any questions of an environmental nature that they hire a proffessional in the field.

State that your value estimate assumes that asbestos either isn't present or that if present is stable. If either of these assumptions should be found false either because of information which was withheld by the client / borrower or other knowledgeable parties, or as a result of a subsequent enviornmental survey that your value estimate could be adversely impacted.

Asbestos siding never really was much of a health threat unless a substantial number of the tiles were broken or spalling. In most cases a simple paint job will mitigate the problem. (Lead paint is a far more serious health problem and given the subjects age may also be present.)

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Asbestos siding is generally not a hazard. It's not the same thing as asbestos used in fireproofing and insulation. It's more of a masonry product. Even when you crack the things, you've still got a masonry product. The only hazard is if you tried to sand the product for repainting.

Disclose and state it is common and typical for the market and generally does not affect marketability (assuming this is so). Second, state that you're not an inspector. If the lender wants an inspection, it's in their court.

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Ditto, had a house with that stuff, no problems health wise but it wouldn't hold paint worth a darn so we put vinyl over steel siding over it and cured the problem.

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I also took pictures of the chipped/missing siding and will include them in the report along with the comments. Thank you all for your input.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Sue, .....When you say..."in the shape its in"....what would you be describing ? Is this stuff about 1/8 to 1/4" thick, very hard and flat, smooth on the back-side and with small parallel striation grooves on the outside ? Were there broken shards off the bottom edges near the ground ? Any entire "shingle" pieces fallen off ? The 1961 age of this home does make it a candidate for that material. But I'm NOT saying that it IS ! I believe this material may also be referred to as a Johns-Manville siding board and could take a similar name like the title of your posting. It was 1950's and early '60's vintage stuff. I reported on a house in 2000 which had this thin "melba toast" siding shingle exterior. Built in 1959. Numerous ground level shingles were busted-up. Grabbed one shard piece among the many. Sure enough, on profile, one sees little fiber bristles sticking right out of the very hard matrix. This house I visited had other things worthy of a few extra exterior photos, so I got one close-up of this cracked-up siding around a corner near the ground and let the reader draw their own conclusions.

sueinprescott

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Ted, I wish I could attach a photo, but it is as you describe, shingles off (some laying on the ground), chipped and the assessor lists it as asbestos also. I have requested a copy of the home inspection report as I have some other issues, would a home inspector talk about that? I should receive that any minute now. Again I'll state all of that in my addendum and let my readers decide.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I have lost my standard comment I had for this. Have not done one in a while either. But this type of siding doesn't always contain asbestos from what I understand. My statement ran along the lines of what folks recommended. Something like Siding may or maynot contain asbestos. If your concerned get a Pro. I assume it is not asbestos and is not hazardous. If that changes I will probably change my value. Yada yada.

Just say your not a expert. Get an expert and that you assume it isn't a problem and let them worry with it.

Larry Lyke

Sue ~

Sounds like a cementaceous product, with asbestos embedded in the product for strength, to hold it together, and for durability.

All said, it's a very stable product unless abused by batting baseballs against the house. Get more brittle over time.

The factory colored product has held up for at least a half century and many homeowners considered it to have been a very good investment.

B

Bemis Pownall

Lino has asbestos in it.(old floor covering)

Should we all freak out over it?

Acoustic tiles have esbestos in it(some basement ceilings)

Its there, Realtors sell it, people buy it. Life goes on.

Paint has lead in it, so does gas and pencils. Pencils are still legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks