• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Asked To Convert FHA Appraisal To Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChampRJ

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Minnesota
I'm stumped and hopefully someone has experience with this. I recently did an appraisal (within the past 2 weeks) as an FHA. I got a call from the client today asking if I can convert it to conventional because the buyer decided to go conventional on his loan. I've never had this question before and I am wondering if the lender can still use an FHA appraisal for a conventional loan. If not, do I do a new appraisal with a new inspection?

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Montana
Get the request in writing. Bill for the conversion. Remove the FHA "stuff" (case number, references to FHA/HUD, MPR requirements--hence the remaining report is a conventional level report. You hopefully, used as much FHA and VA transaction data as available, that is ok.

Your are effectively changing the scope of reporting.

Again, Bill for the conversion.

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
I think you have a new assignment with a new SOW. I also think you must check market data for any new pertinent information that may exist.

What you charge is a business decision, I would not, myself, just remove the FHA "stuff".

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Different intended users
Different intended use
Different assignment

I would treat it as a new assigment, go back out, re-inspect the subject property, research for more updated comps, change the effective date and bill them accordingly.

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Different intended users
Different intended use
Different assignment

I would treat it as a new assigment, go back out, re-inspect the subject property, research for more updated comps, change the effective date and bill them accordingly.
I think this is exactly right. If we can't add an intended user, can we remove one? Seems to me that this is a new intended user (lender only as opposed to lender and HUD), and the scope of the work is quite a bit different.

ChampRJ

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I appreciate the help guys and I think to be safe I'm going to treat it as a new assignment, reinspect and use what I can from the original report.

ddnma

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I appreciate the help guys and I think to be safe I'm going to treat it as a new assignment, reinspect and use what I can from the original report.
Why do you have to re-inspect?

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
He doesn't have to reinspect. But it's just better if he does.

Eric C

Professional Status
State
Florida
I dont agree.

Why re-inspect? for the sake of charging more? wow, good way of keeping your clients.

Besides removing the FHA comments your report shouldnt look any different. So you inspected the attic and other little stuff, great, you already got paid for that either way.

As far as charging a fee is up to you but I wouldnt re-inspect. Just make a new file, new request, leave same effective date and add new signature date.

UNLESS theyre asking for a new effective date but otherwise I dont see it as a big issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks