• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Assigning new file numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

Freshman Member
I am looking for ideas for assigning new file/order numbers. Now I use the dd/mm/yy. This is fine until I get several in one dayand start adding letters to the file numbers.

Willie

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Doug I started w' # 1 and have gone upward. My long time clients may know how many I've done, but I don't really care. Many of them are gone anyway. If concerned, start at 100 or 1000 or something.

Mike Simpson

My file numbers are automatically generated.

I start w/county, year, number of appraisals under a particular heading, followed by the particular heading--For example:

V3018URA - would be--Ventura County / Year 2003 / 18th appraisal of the year / Form-1004 (URAR)

This way I know the county, the year the appraisal was performed, the number of appraisals I've completed under (which?) category.

-Mike

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
I use a system that begins with the year, initials of the lender, and an ascending running count. Makes it easy for me to readily identify the year a report was done, and who it was done for. 03XM12115, woul be done in 2003 for XMortgage, and the 12,115 th report.

Oregon Doug

Professional Status
General Public
State
Oregon
My system started this year as M3 (3rd year in the new millenium), 01 (first month of the year) and 01 (first appraisal assignment logged in that month). Thus the first file # is M30101. The last # for last year was M21231 - which ment that I logged in 31 assignments for all of the month of December of 2002.

I print the # on the file folder tab and file them sequentially. That makes it easy to identify reports that are over 5 years old that can be purged from the office - saving space.

This system works well for my small, one person appraisal business because at my age, I do not intend to take on more than 99 assignments is any one month.

Oregon Doug

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
I have used this system for more than 15 years and it works pretty well.

3 = year

01 = month

01 = 1st appraisal of the month

01 = indicated appraiser

Example

2103504 = 2002 October 35th appraisal and 04 would be beth.

you could add a digit before the year if you wanted to...otherwise they do repeat every 10 years. Since I shred all reports after 5 years...who cares?

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Hey, Kewl.... I like that system Mike. For some reason, my software doesn't like it if the file # is too long, or has more than one letter. :?
I've been doing it like Doug, but looking for better.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Our system is very simple (even the appraiser can understand it)

Take the last digit of the year in which the order was actually received/logged in and the three digit sequential number of the order as it came in. Combine the two numbers and this is the file number.

Example: The 18th order received since January 1, 2003 was assigned file number 3018. The 498th order received in 2002 was assigned file number 2498. The 229th order received in 2000 was assigned file number 0229.

We can tell at a glance what year an old order was done. This is the file number assigned in the software.

Atlanta CG

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Long time ago I began putting in the assignments in a wire-bound book - those things you buy in the college bookstore for class notes for each course. The numbers have always run consecutively, and I just put in the date, client, & address. The rest of the data is put into the computer when I write the report. That way if the client calls for one that I did several or a few years ago and gives me my file number, I can just go to the book if it is no longer in the computer and pick it out immediately. Now it is a simple four digit number and by the time I retire I'll know exactly how many assignments I've done. Simple, but a good backup for lost computer data.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
State
Nevada
I utilize an 8 digit #. I start with 2 digits for the month, 2 digits for the last two numbers of the year & finally 4 digits for the job #. My first file # for this year was 01030001. I used 4 digits for the job # because @ the time I started the system I didn't know if I wanted to hire lots of other appraisers at some point in the future. Now I know I don't but I'm used to the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks