• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Assuming 5 Acre Parcel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Jennings

Freshman Member
Have a request to appraise a property that contains 13 acres as if home were on 5 acres. Comments appreciated.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I just finished one today where the subject is located on a 40 acre parcel but the lender says to use only 10 acres.

They did not tell me what to use (no legal description) so I put the assumption in the report that it was a typical 10 acre; 330 by 1320. These are common in my market.

What you have will be a Hypothetical Appraisal based on an assumption that is not true. You will want to make sure that you state that it is a Hypothetical Appraisal and caution the user that the value contained in the report is not reflective of the actual value nor have any relationship to the way the property is actually constituted.

Here's a statement that I put in the Addenda:

COMMENTS ON HYPOTHETICAL SITE USED IN THIS APPRAISAL:

AT THE SPECIFIC REQUEST OF THE LENDER A HYPOTHETICAL SITE OF 10 ACRES IS CONSIDERED IN THE REPORT. THE ASSUMED PARCEL IS 330' BY 1320' WITH 330' OF ROAD FRONTAGE. NO LEGAL DESCRIPTION WAS PROVIDED. THE USER OF THIS REPORT IS CAUTIONED THAT THE VALUE CONTAINED HEREIN, BECAUSE OF THE HYPOTHETICAL SITE, MAY NOT REFLECT SUBJECT'S ACTUAL VALUE.

You might want to put it in the FIRREA/USPAP page also.

The important thing is to make sure you state in the report, and perhaps several times, is that what you are appraising is not reality and that the value conclusion is not reflective of subject's value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks