• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AVM Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
A couple of years ago Joan Trice of AppraisalBuzz created a by invitation only forum for AVM developers. I was one of 60 people invited to participate. There was not a lot of posting going on about technical issues because no one wanted to give away proprietary information. I stated that the key to AVM and general appraising in the future related to credibility issues and verified model performance. I also pointed out the limitations and I am sure everyone involved knew those limitations.
The bottom line was that money can be made with these AVM’s and given the short comings; they were going ahead with them anyway because big lenders wanted them and were willing to pay the price. It all come down to whose model could do the best job with the lowest predicted price variance.
One of the short comings I pointed out were inflating and deflating markets. The AVM will always be way behind the curve and multiple regression will not work with a broad mixed data base as pointed out in the article.

Laura Goldware

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I also pointed out the limitations and I am sure everyone involved knew those limitations.

~~~~

What limitations?

What do you think the future holds for AVM's? Are AVM's accurate in todays market? With declining markets across the USA?

Laura

Fred

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Virgin Islands
Are AVM's accurate in todays market? With declining markets across the USA?
The accuracy of AVM is a function of how accurate the databse is.

Joyce Potts

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
http://www.appraisercentral.com/zaio-corp.htm

http://appraisercentral.com/AVM.htm

Here are two better ones.

And here's some better news--I spoke to a chief appraiser today with a rather large 'lender' throughtout the SE who, despite his best efforts, is meeting with several AVM providers. They want FAST and CHEAP. As I've said before, the current meltdown is but a mere bump in the road. Quality IS NOT an issue as the losses based on foreclosures is minor in comparison to the profits. The lenders are positioning themselves to provide quick approvals, because if they don't commit to that loan before that customer gets up and walks out the door, their chances of them losing that deal increases dramatically.

It always has been and will continue to be about the bottom line, thus compromises will always be made, unfortunately.

So for you appraisers who are still afraid to come forth with your stories, you only have yourselves to blame. Complacency by the ones who know what goes on, but refuse to say or do anything, are often as responsible for the atrocities they help hide.

Todd Ruhl

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
What about Fred's brilliant comment on quantum decoherence..."Yabba Dabba Do"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks