• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

AVM is Number Hitter - I'm Just the Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Birrell (NY)

Just returned from 1920 vintage time-capsule that needs a complete gut-rehab, at least $100,000 in repairs, which includes rotted exterior wood siding (easily seen even if it's done as a drive-by). There is a recent mortgage recorded for $160,000 with Washington Mutual. My assignment is a refi via mortgage broker who is placing loan with guess who ? - WaMu.
Amount of loan requested - $161,000.

I call mortgage broker and explain, they say "we'll get back to you".
Call back comes minutes later, "please cancel, and we'll pay you for your time, WaMu is going to do a evaluation based on AVM data, which is how they got last mortgage, Mr. Owner is a good friend of so and so at WaMu "....................so much for the DeMinimus level crapola.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS WHOLE STINKING MESS TO BLOW UP IN THEIR FACES !

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
As long as they make the payments, it's not going to blow up. If the home goes into default, the assumption will be that it is a downturn of the economy, not necessarily the use of AVMs, that caused the loss. The only one to blame using the AVM is the lender/Fannie/Freddie. They're not going to own up to the problem.

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
:idea: But if he quits making payments, I wonder how long he will have a friend at WaMu. :?:

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
The amount of the loan is essentially no longer based on the value of the security but on the ability of the borrower to repay.

I call this "Risk-Based Lending".

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Another important fact that is being overlooked is that AVM's are "forcasting" their sales for market changes that are not there. I have noticed AVM's using the same sales I have, but sgnificantly higher sales prices. They are inflating sales prices in an effort to stay competitive. However, the market has not shown the great appreciation that it had in prior years and current data does not support the forcasted data. AVM's are also worthless in rural areas. Have you ever had a 2075 assignment and looked at their estimated value and been happyy you were not having to support that ridiculous value? One last thing, it is their loan, so if they want to rely on unreliable data, it their choice and their demise.

slacker

The amount of the loan is essentially no longer based on the value of the security but on the ability of the borrower to repay.

I call this "Risk-Based Lending".

And there should be more of it.

The value of the security is only worth the potential accounts receivable entry created by the borrower. If the borrower goes belly up, the property is no longer an income producer, regardless of its value. More weight should be given to the financial health of the borrower and less to the potential value of the property.

Real3992004

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
If the value of the security is only worth the potential accounts receivable entry created by the borrower, then why is the property secured by a mortgage or deed of trust?

If the borrower's ability to repay were the only factor in the decision to make a loan, then why wouldn't the investor just accept an unsecured note? Borrower's loose jobs, [email protected]$% happens. The purpose of the note secured by the mortgage is to minimize losses. A prudent investor needs an appraisal to ensure the security of the loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks