• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Awkward Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom4value

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
This is not really an appraisal issue but I thought I would pass along an amusing anacdote.

I scheduled an appraisal inspection with the husband. He told me I would be meeting his wife. I knocked on the door, introduced myself (just my name). She let me in but had an odd look on her face. I proceeded to ask her my normal questions about the house. She answered them fine enough but the look on her face prompted me to make the comment after about a minute or so... “You have no idea why I am here, do you?” Nope!

Just then her husband came down the stairs and confessed that he forgot to tell her I was coming! Luckily, she took it in stride and we al had a good laugh.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
love these stories...

got an order for a refi some years back. called, made the appointment, showed up at the house a few days later. did the entire inspection, spoke at length about improvements with the husband and wife, went outside and did all of that and stopped back at the door as i always do for one last talk with the borrower. i asked if they had any questions and the husband said he only had one - why was i inspecting his house? i said in conjunction with your refi. he said they were not in the process of a refi. we both looked at each other like we had mermaids coming out of our noses.

turns out their son, who was a jr. and married a woman with the same name as his mother, lived in the house next door and was the one who had refi'd. i had searched public records and pulled the data for the parent's house. we all had a good laugh, then i did another inspection on the subject next door. that was the best excuse for being late to an appointment i have ever had.

Tom4value

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
love these stories...

got an order for a refi some years back. called, made the appointment, showed up at the house a few days later. did the entire inspection, spoke at length about improvements with the husband and wife, went outside and did all of that and stopped back at the door as i always do for one last talk with the borrower. i asked if they had any questions and the husband said he only had one - why was i inspecting his house? i said in conjunction with your refi. he said they were not in the process of a refi. we both looked at each other like we had mermaids coming out of our noses.

turns out their son, who was a jr. and married a woman with the same name as his mother, lived in the house next door and was the one who had refi'd. i had searched public records and pulled the data for the parent's house. we all had a good laugh, then i did another inspection on the subject next door. that was the best excuse for being late to an appointment i have ever had.
Ouch!!!!! Luckily it was next door for you.
Back in the 90's a colleague in my office went to the door and encountered a similar situation. The difference was the son was putting a mortgage on the parent's house for drug money!

chad hampton

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
This happens to me once or twice a year it seems. I know when it's gonna happen too. I set the appointment with the husband. Husband says my wife will be there tomorrow at 9AM. Perfect, but I know she is never getting the message and is surprised when I show up.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I introduce myself at the door. Name plus "what" I am (the appraiser).

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I had a similar situation. I arrived at the property and saw the nanny, the owners weren't home. I asked questions about the house, took exterior pictures and measurements. At that point the owner arrived. We discovered that the order was for his cousin's house on the same block, similar name addresses 24 and 42.

Obsolescent

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Happened to me a few times as well. Husband schedules for the wife. I suggest I deal directly with her and he's like nah...she'll be home. Before I hang up I tell him not to forget to tell his wife because I charge a trip fee if she won't let me in or isn't home.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Yes, many moons ago I showed up at zzz 130th Ln and an older lady answered the door and let me in and was so thrilled to have a conversation with me and talk about her house and the neighborhood. She eventually, 5-10 minutes, asked why I was there...it was zzz 130th Dr instead, the next street over..Oops..At least I made her day enjoyable as I could tell she needed some conversation;)

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
love these stories...

Had this happen twice. Both times it was multiple houses with a shared driveway (no house numbers of course). Both times the owners let me in, let me do a complete inspection and small talk with me before asking why I was there! They assumed I was the town assessor. Both also asked how much I thought there house was at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks