• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Backup Question Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I have never used a second hard drive for back-up, which is discussed in the other thread. It sounds like a great idea, however I have one question. What happens if you have a virus when you back-up your data to the second hard drive? I know that even with good anti-virus software, sometimes viruses sneak through. Do they travel to the second hard drive? I love the concept of a second hard drive, but I do not know much about how viruses travel. Thanks.

Michael

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Michael,

You can scan for a virus. Then have it removed via the anti-virus software.

Rene Mata

Freshman Member
I always disable my backup drives when I'm not doing backup.

I tried to be sure that my system is free of virus or trojan, when I tried

to do backup.

Just be sure that your antivirus software is runnung and you
have the latest update of the antivirus file.

Yes they can jump from your backup drive, but if you are aware
of your files and their file extension then probably you could
be aware of what files is kind of different and should not belong
to that drive.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Thanks for the advice. I am not likely to find a virus by looking at my files, as I am not that aware. I also know that even the most up to date anti-virus software can miss one now and then, so that is my main concern. I probably will go with the second hard-drive either way. Sounds good to me.

Michael

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Originally posted by Michael Stone@May 17 2003, 12:17 AM
I am not likely to find a virus by looking at my files, as I am not that aware. I also know that even the most up to date anti-virus software can miss one now and then, so that is my main concern.
True it can but if you use some precautions it not likely (but possible!).

One of my pet peeves is people who buy Anti-virus software and never update it. Norton allows me to schedule an update. I set mine to check every day and download any new definitions. So far I have never had one get past Norton.

I am also very cautious of attachments and I run a firewall too.

Now as for the second HD it's possible for it to get infected. Again the key is to educate yourself on how viruses, trojans and all the other things work and use caution. If you will do that odds are in you favor.

I forgot to add that if you buy the right software you can image you Hard Drive and if the drive fails you just swap cables and you back in buisiness.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I still think the best back up is a 2nd computer...that way you are never out of business in the event of a crash.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Michael

I formerly used Norton until a virus got through. I now use AVG which was recommended by someone on the forum a long time ago. It's free and updates are free also.

www.grisoft.com

Ben

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I back up everything nightly to an 80 Gig external hard drive which is disconnected from my network when I am not doing the back up. Takes an extra 15 minutes to shut down, plug in the hard drive, and reboot, then let everything copy over. I know there was some dicussion about this earlier, and questions about the USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 standards. MOST of the external USB 2.0 drives are backwards compatable, and can be run on the older USB ports with no problem, it just runs slower.

I used to do the tape backup thing, and considered going with DVD-R, but the storage capacities and speed isn't there for them. As far as the virus issue, get Norton. It's live update can check the web daily if you want it to keep updating the virus definitions, and it will actively scan everything the entire day for any unusual activity......I'm on the net a LOT, and I have yet ::knocking on wood:: to have a problem with picking up a virus. If you are REALLY concerned, just keep the backup drive offline, and before you do your backup, just scan for viruses, then plug in and backup......will take some time, but you know the old saying about an ounce of prevention........

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Originally posted by Mike Garrett, RAA@May 17 2003, 11:08 AM
I still think the best back up is a 2nd computer...that way you are never out of business in the event of a crash.
Mike,

That's what I do, back up to another computer, twice a day. It takes less than 5 minutes each time. If one computer explodes the other is ready to go! Both use Win XP operating system, 1 is desktop, 1 is laptop. I synchronize over 20,000 data files twice a day. I back up over my network 10/100 cable. I tried using the wireless portion of the network for back up but it took longer than 5 minutes (probably 10 or more).

Each morning I sync the desktop to the laptop because I last used the laptop the night before. At the end of the day I sync the laptop to the desktop because I used the desktop all day. And since I use both computers every day (except when I am out of town) I am equally familiar with them and it is no trouble to work equally as well on either of them.

When I only used 1 computer and it was a laptop I backed up to an external hard drive via USB cable. I was very lucky that the laptop didn't fail in 3 years and I decided not to push my luck again. Yes, I would have still had my data but would have had to put the data on another computer (which I didn't have, or get the one that broke fixed, so I would be out of business for at least a day or two).

If I only used one computer and it was a desktop I would go with the 2nd hard drive back up and would have it automatically either back up the data files a couple times a day or do a raid or mirror system, the key idea being that it was automatic and something that I didn't have to remember to do.

The two computer system file synchronization between laptop and desktop twice a day works best for me because I need complete redundancy. If I were an appraiser, in addition to what I do now, I would make CD's of all my appraisal report files.

Bottom line is: Evaluate your needs, there is no best way to back up, but there are a lot of different ways to backup. Some are good for some people, but not everyone. Choose whatever works best for you!

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Thanks for all the replies.

Ben - I will look into the AVG software this week. I keep my Norton updated, but I still get this uneasy feeling that something might get through. Possibly just paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks