• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bank Owned Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRMORALES

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nevada
What Is The Ruling On Using Properties That The Banks Have Taken Back As Comps. The Record The Repo And An Assigned Value In The Tax Records. Is It A Useable Comp?

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
No, it is not a sale. It is a foreclosure, no buyer, no seller, ordered by a court.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Most people refer to these as transfers and not sales. The assigned value is typically the amount that the bank had to eat...and not an indicator of "Value".

stefan olafson

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
I agree, these are typically sheriff's deeds or something like. The lender with the most to lose typically pays the bottom dollar to protect their investment.

Joe Booth

Professional Status
State
California
Transfer, not a sale, not a comparable. When the bank sells it, there is a comparable and possibly a typical sale in todays market.

farmguy

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Texas
If you are in an area that is really getting ugly those deals can help determine what it is not worth. If the sale was well attended and the bank bid wins, it is an indication it is worth less than that.

It is not bad where I am (yet) but in mid 80's we were grasping at any information available to help.

Ion Caza

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I would never use this as a comp. It probably has a quit claim deed or a sheriff deed. The moment when the bank sells it, I'll might use it as a comp-REO property after a "normal" market exposure.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
What Is The Ruling On Using Properties That The Banks Have Taken Back As Comps. The Record The Repo And An Assigned Value In The Tax Records. Is It A Useable Comp?
The USPAP Supreme Court has said.....they don't care. It all depends on your market.

The Dog

Professional Status
State
Oregon
It is going to be interesting. Just looked at the MLS listings on a newer subdivision (45 homes of which around 30 are built over the last 18months). 15 sold in last 18 months, presently, there are 12 listings, (a couple still being built and not listed, sold as vacant with builder reserving right to construct home on it). Of the 12 active listings, as of today 9 are foreclosures listed at anywhere between 15-28% below the listing price of the rest of the new homes. Of the sales in the last 6 months, 4 are foreclosures including one pending.

Going to be interesting to see how the rest of this sub. will react to the lower listing prices of the foreclosures. Also going to be interesting to see if ANYONE is interested in the higher priced homes, or if they prefer the lower priced foreclosures (btw, some of the foreclosures have never been lived in).

Daystar

Professional Status
State
New York

oh my!:Eyecrazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks