• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Be Careful On Your Emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Any suggestions on how to be more careful due to malware?

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
1. Never click on links in emails unless you are 100% sure of its safety. Many times a link will be "cloaked", meaning that a trusted link is visible, but the actual hidden link that you don't see goes to malicious sites. Hover your cursor over the link and then look at the status bar at the bottom to make sure the hidden link is the same as the visible one.

2. Never open attachments in an email unless you are 100% sure of it's safety.

3. Never post your email on any kind of forum, facebook, news group, or any website . The more you post your email on the internet the more spam (and thus malware) you will get in your inbox.

4. Use an email provider that takes an active role in blocking most spam and malware from getting to your inbox to start with.

Below not just for email, but will keep malware/hackers/virus threat lower:

5. Always use the latest operating system for your computer and ALWAYS keep it updated to the latest version. Which means even if somehow you do accidentally click on a bad link in an email or open an attachment, your operating system will be patched and the malware will most likely be defeated. Recent case in point, the WannaCry virus over the weekend. Microsoft released a patch for that back in March, but hundreds of thousands of people didn't update their computers so they got infected. Set your Windows 10 updates to automatic updates and forget it! Otherwise you WILL forget to update your system at a critical time right when the latest virus/malware comes out.

6. Always keep the Windows Defender virus definitions up to date and use the recommended settings for real time protection.. In my opinion there is no need for a 3rd party virus program if you do this as MS updates the definitions almost daily.

7. When visiting unknown websites, proceed with caution until you are sure they are legit.

8. NEVER log onto an open wifi network with your computer or phone! You never know when someone is lurking that can get into your system. If you must use an open wifi, then by all means subscribe to a VPN service! (cheap insurance). People think they are safe logging in at hotels, coffee shops, restaurants, stores, etc. but how do you know the person across the room staring at his laptop hasn't just grabbed your logins to your bank account from you?

9. And if your home or office wifi isn't secured, then I don't know what to say. You probably don't lock your house or car either. Just tell anyone nearby to "come on in" and take what you want.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Watch out for RE oriented emails. I had one this morning. The address is an .edu extension...I see that a lot in emails flagged by the host. This one invited you to view details of a listing you supposedly had inquired about. This is apparently going to agents on the MLS...seems those addresses are broadcast as I get a dozen or so daily from known agents wanting me to help sell some hot new property.

When you get one, report it as SPAM or PHISHING. By mousing over the name you generally get the email address. any thing foreign like .ru or .eu etc. as well as those with .edu extensions are sure fire spam red alert.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Head Surfer pretty much summed it up. Only thing to add is that these guys are getting really sneaky about sending emails that one would otherwise think is legitimate. Regardless of who the sender is listed as, be sure to view the email address. For example, I received something today from "Yahoo Account Services" but the actual email address was clearly that of a hacker. Pretty good idea about running out of email storage though. Many of those we know (as well as many of us) have been unfortunate enough to get their own email hacked. If my sister or brother-in-law sends an email with just a couple words and an obscure link, I know it is bogus, even if I email those people occasionally, so by no means click on those links. When in doubt, err on the side of caution.

Reactions: Eli

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Watch out for RE oriented emails. I had one this morning. The address is an .edu extension...I see that a lot in emails flagged by the host. This one invited you to view details of a listing you supposedly had inquired about. This is apparently going to agents on the MLS...seems those addresses are broadcast as I get a dozen or so daily from known agents wanting me to help sell some hot new property.

When you get one, report it as SPAM or PHISHING. By mousing over the name you generally get the email address. any thing foreign like .ru or .eu etc. as well as those with .edu extensions are sure fire spam red alert.
There was another nasty one that was made to appear like a signed counter offer that needed signing urgently. For the hungry realtor it was like a blood bait for a channel cat, wait 3 seconds, set the hook and pull. Appraisers need to be wary of those emails from lonely Russian girls partially robed who are selling those enhancement products.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Latest was an e-mail that said it was an above list price cash offer for your listing. Since I don't list I knew it was a phish, but I wonder how many RE agents are now paying ransom? Also have noted that alot or RE agents e-mails get hacked fairly regularly and I am very wary of opening them unless its obvious that its something I have had a recent conversation with the particular agent about.

VegasWayne

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nevada
It has been reported that people paying the Wannacry ransom don't get their files back. Don't give these scumbags any money.

NachoPerito

Professional Status
State
Washington
90% of issues are emails with links.
Do not click on the link unless you are expecting the exact link.
If you are unsure then do a google search to see if there is a phishing scam related to that email or email the person back making sure the link is legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks