• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

becoming certified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Whiting

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
I would like to pose a question to all the certified appraisers in the fourm. Did becoming a certified appraiser get you more business then when you were only a state licensed appraiser?

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I can't speak for others, but I'm sure there are plenty here who went directly from Trainee or Provisional to Certified.

I was NEVER a state licensed appraiser. I went directly to Certified in 1990, took the very first test offered, in Maryland. When I moved to Florida, in 1993, I was a Registered Trainee for a grand total of 48 hours before I sat for the Certification exam. There are many states, Florida being one, that no longer offer a License category.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
Im like you Chris .. I took the first test in 1990 and went from Appraiser to General Certified Appraiser ... I never held a lower license.

I do think more and more clients are not only going to require certified soon .. they are going to require certified with X number of years experience. Thats where I see this mess taking us and it will be good for our business.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
In my case, the answer is yes, because now I do not have to turn down properties with a transaction value over $1 million dollars. I appraise in some areas where there are many $1 million + properties. I will say that when it comes to transactions under $1 million dollars, I don't think most clients care whether or not you are licensed or certified. Thus, if you appraise in an area with none or few $1 million properties, then I don't think it will help increase your business very much.

Bama Bayou

Professional Status
State
Alabama
I took the first test also, but my business increased after getting certified because no one ever asked about residential designations after that. The question "are you an RM or SRA" was replaced by "are you certified" in one day.

I had completed the education and experience interview for the RM, and had the data compiled for my demo. Never finished it, no reason. I doubt many bankers even know what an RM is or even heard of one.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
I went straight to Cert Res, and now am headed for Cert General. The only difference that I can see between my situation now and after I get the new Cert is that I won't have to split fees, and I can do more litigation-related commercial work (technically I don't need the license because NY is nonmandatory, but still it's something the opposing counsel would likely hammer me on).

License to Cert Res might make a difference in the future given the new requirements. However, in the current market, going from one residential credential to another might not make much of a difference given supply and demand factors.

Trebor

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
There are not many million dollar homes in my market. I saw a piece on the today show that said Wichita, KS followed by Oklahoma City have the lowest average home prices in the country. If you were doing appraisals in lets say California, or back east I would think you would need to be Certified.

Last edited:

Jill Kinnaird

Professional Status
State
Ohio
Have been in real estate 20+ years, appraising for 12 but never got licensed til 2006 and then could only get a Certified Residential because the state determined since I didn't have a trainee license a years worth of commercial experience wasn't allowed. If you're serious about the business get the highest licensing you possibly can, NOW. Don't wait til the rules change again. You'll get caught up in the bureaucracy and end up 'wasting' a year or two like I did. Just having a license, be it a trainee or general, will not bring you more, or better, business. The best opportunities are offered to those perceived as the best at what they do.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I would like to pose a question to all the certified appraisers in the fourm. Did becoming a certified appraiser get you more business then when you were only a state licensed appraiser?
Yes, in a compliance sense. It is a complex market condition we have here with REO and short sales along with affordability driving the prices down. In California as a state licensed appraiser, you cannot perform complex appraisals with out supervision of a certified licensed appraiser.

It is up to the lender to enforce licensure conditions when selecting the appraiser.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I do think more and more clients are not only going to require certified soon .. they are going to require certified with X number of years experience. Thats where I see this mess taking us and it will be good for our business.

I sure that you are right about this, but it does seem that too many lenders are just intent on getting things done as cheaply as possible, quality be damned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks