• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bedroom, Garage Minimum SqFt?

Ariba

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Lots of input on bedrooms. Thank you.

What about the garage sizes?

sputnam

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
A bedroom needs to be large enough to fit a bed. A garage has to be large enough to store a car. There are some published standards... but, you know, someone made them up. You don't have to use any of them. You do have to have a handle on what is acceptable in your market.

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Even newer construction will not accommodate today's standard truck.

Get rid of the friggin land yacht.
Buy a smart car. Now it's a 4 car garage, without the lift. :leeann2:

Old garages might be 16' or 17' square. Really old places may have no garage, what's a car? :shrug:
More recent stuff may be 18, 19, 20 feet square or more for a "2 car" garage.
I think I'm glad we don't have to do garages by SF, especially since that detail is not usually available to me.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
In my area garages are all different sizes, Some of the the newer homes have what are called Tandem Garages, often one 2 car sized door and one -1 car sized door, on older homes built in the fifties and sixties we have a lot of 18" X 20' detached garages, with on large door. We also have larger 3 car garages that are 22 X 30 feet and those truley hold three cars. The truth is almost no garages around my area will hold 2 or 3 large vehicles, like pick up trucks , but they will all hold 1 -2 or 3 Toyota corollas. In order to keep uniformity, I do not try and micro-manage a garage size. I have a 2 car 22 X 24' deep and it will really hold two cars, a tract down the road, has 2 car garages that are only 19' X 20' and even though they are called two cars , they really wont hold two full size vehicles. In general, since I cant get out and measure a Comparables garage, I just stick to the size of the garage door, its got 1,2, or 3 and I am done.

AS FAR as bedrooms, I go by what is a reasonable size expectation in a local market . In general I have no concern unless its smaller than say 8 X 8- Also is it a children bedroom ? " V" a Main Bedroom. Growing up I spent summers with cousins who lived in little houses with small bedrooms, my Uncles placed Bunk Beds in two of the bedrooms and we had no problems, we loved them, BUT you could not have placed a queen or master sized mattress in them. I also know that when folks have large families, they tend to use almost any area as a bedroom My Father had 9 brothers and sisters and grew up in a 1,000 Sq.Ft. house, my mother had 13 brothers and sisters and believe me a 8 X 8 would have been used as a bedroom and little Johnny woudl have been stuck in a 7 X 7. Anyway just use some common sense and if its got a bed in it then its a bedroom : ) LMAO

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
How do you address these situations?

Attachments

• Garage.JPG
    Garage.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Garage2.JPG
    Garage2.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Garage3.JPG
    Garage3.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 2

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
How do you address these situations?

189 Shoefly Lane, .......pre-existing non conformity; to meet current code may require a variance; 3rd garage 50's, 60's auto's, but appears to reflect 3 window coupe days

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks