• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bedroom question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caligirl

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Before you read, please note this is not for an appraisal.

Here is the question. Imagine a house. Currently, there are two entrances; one through a living room, another through a converted garage/mudroom type room.

Owner wants to remodel the mudroom into bedroom and eventually add a garage adjacent. The existing entrance door will remain, but would open into the (not-yet-existing) new garage, to be built adjacent this room.

Can this room be considered a bedroom, if a door opens into garage area. Ie., there will still be a living room entrance, and one could exit the garage area via the garage door vs. the mudroom door. At the end of the remodel it will have closet area, windows to exterior, and a private door into the rest of the house.

The concern is: if there is an access door into the garage from this room, would it be considered a 'throughfare' into the rest of the house rather than a bedroom.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Can this room be considered a bedroom, if a door opens into garage area.

The concern is: if there is an access door into the garage from this room, would it be considered a 'throughfare' into the rest of the house rather than a bedroom.

CG- (hey! Cali Girl and Certified General all rolled into one!) :new_smile-l:

It would sound like a bedroom with a functional issue- which may eliminate its additional value as a bedroom amenity. I would also check with the planning department to see if they will permit a bedroom with a doorway entrance directly into the garage; I believe they have a special (higher) set of standards when bedrooms are next to garages (fire and fume hazards!). If I were the owner considering this change, I'd be especially concerned about the fumes if I were thinking about using this as a kid's room! :)

Last edited:

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
Thanks Mr. D

CG- (hey! Cali Girl and Certified General all rolled into one!) :new_smile-l:

It would sound like a bedroom with a functional issue. Which may eliminate its additional value as a bedroom amenity. I would also check with the planning department to see if they will permit a bedroom with a doorway entrance directly into the garage; I believe they have a special (higher) set of standards when bedrooms are next to garages (fire and fume hazards!). If I were the owner considering this change, I'd be especially concerned about the fumes if I were thinking about using this as a kid's room! :)

Thanks Denis, I've been mulling over this for some time. It is an odd configuration and the 'bedroom' definitions vary widely, plus new code requirements to consider. I'm the owner trying to figure out the best use for the room.

The door where the garage will be can be closed up with framing and drywall, in which case it will still have the other doorway access into the remainder of the house, and two exterior windows. I am 99% sure this will meet the 'official' bedroom requirements. Good point about checking on higher standards; sounds like a good job for the contractor. :)

And yes, this will be a child's room. Thanks for remembering. :)

Last edited:

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Before you read, please note this is not for an appraisal.

Here is the question. Imagine a house. Currently, there are two entrances; one through a living room, another through a converted garage/mudroom type room.

Owner wants to remodel the mudroom into bedroom and eventually add a garage adjacent. The existing entrance door will remain, but would open into the (not-yet-existing) new garage, to be built adjacent this room.

Can this room be considered a bedroom, if a door opens into garage area. Ie., there will still be a living room entrance, and one could exit the garage area via the garage door vs. the mudroom door. At the end of the remodel it will have closet area, windows to exterior, and a private door into the rest of the house.

Many municipalities prohibit use of a room with a doorway, as a Bedroom, to an immediately adjacent garage due to healthy and safety reasons.

Check the Code and C.O. Requirements. :)

(oh sure Denis beat me to it. grrrrr):icon_mrgreen:

NC Appraising

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I agree with Mike and Denis. Check you local municipalities rules and regs (codes). At the very least the door has to be fire rated, and properly sealed. This room being used as a bedroom is not a good idea.

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
It seems that if the not-yet-existing garage is designed to be detached that may solve the configuration problem.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Does it matter if it can be considered a bedroom?

I doubt that there is any code saying you cannot have a room with a closet and two windows next to a garage. Whether they (the municipality) will call it a bedroom doesn't really matter does it?

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
Does it matter if it can be considered a bedroom?

I doubt that there is any code saying you cannot have a room with a closet and two windows next to a garage. Whether they (the municipality) will call it a bedroom doesn't really matter does it?

Actually having an add'l bedroom will most likely add quite a bit of value to the house in the long run. We live in a suburb with excellent schools.

Also, we have a little one on the way and could really use the space!

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
Soooo this is YOUR house? Get a premium fire rated door, add a layer of concrete backer board (shower wall sheets come 2 x 4') to the inside of garage wall attached to the room, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks