• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Besides the MAI and SRA, what are some other appraisers designations?

Jacob Coleman

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Hi all, I'm trying to learn more about different appraisers designations. Besides the MAI and SRA, what are some that you believe it worth pursuing? Thanks.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
ASA - American Society of Appraisers

American Society of Appraisers

www.appraisers.org

ARA - Amer. Soc of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers
Home - ASFMRA

I would prefer either one over the MAI or SRA. Only if I were in the corporate world appraising multimillion dollar hotels, industrials, etc. would I find an MAI appealing. I see no benefit from the SRA since AI seems to have ignored its development.

Russ Kitzberger

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
GAA, RAA from National Association of Realtors: America's Largest Trade Association

AI reported today 17,000 members in the world, NAR has 1.4 million members.

Russ Kitzberger

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
All you have to get those is to write a check. Not impressed with them.
Is this the position of the AF, that a moderator is going to steer the conversation this way after the unconscious/implicit bias event sponsored by several of these organizations today?

NP_MAI

Professional Status
State
Florida
Is this the position of the AF, that a moderator is going to steer the conversation this way after the unconscious/implicit bias event sponsored by several of these organizations today?
I've been an appraiser for a long time and have never heard of those designations. If you read the requirements, @Michigan CG is correct. There are no education requirements, tests, or any other standards.

NachoPerito

Professional Status
State
Washington
I am not sure what the unconscious bias webinar has to do with Michigan CG's statement. Just one person's opinion, i guess you would call it conscious bias?

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Would agree with Terrell on the ASA and they have been around;
RAA has been around since the AI split, has an extensive appraisal library

If your going commercial, NP offered some good names; also it is a personal choice.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
The AF has no position but I do. They are worthless designations that anyone can get by writing a check, sort of like the NAA designation. Unconscious/implicit bias? Are those the new buzzwords of 2021?

The ability to write a check for $300 does not mean one took additional classes, passed additional tests and put a lot of effort into a real designation; it means they wrote a $300 check. I worked hard for my SRA and I have taken hard MAI designation classes and the costs of those classes EACH are more than the cost of those fake designations.

My soon AI-RRS designation also took time effort and a lot more investment than $300.

They are garbage, that is the truth; that is my opinion.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks