• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Besides the MAI and SRA, what are some other appraisers designations?

TMG

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
"Besides the MAI and SRA, what are some that you believe it worth pursuing?"

"Elite Member"...or the coveted "Moderator"

Russ Kitzberger

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
The AF has no position but I do. They are worthless designations that anyone can get by writing a check, sort of like the NAA designation. Unconscious/implicit bias? Are those the new buzzwords of 2021?

The ability to write a check for $300 does not mean one took additional classes, passed additional tests and put a lot of effort into a real designation; it means they wrote a $300 check. I worked hard for my SRA and I have taken hard MAI designation classes and the costs of those classes EACH are more than the cost of those fake designations.

My soon AI-RRS designation also took time effort and a lot more investment than $300.

They are garbage, that is the truth; that is my opinion.
Did you read the requirements? Your opinion is based on incorrect facts, did you research before opineing? Was your mind was made up about the designation before you made the judgment? That is a sign of unconscious bias. Dismissing the validity of the diverse designations and labeling them as worthless isn't supported by facts or reflects on an inclusive mindset, it just furthers bias towards a certain thougth process. It surely doesn't account for the diversity within the profession or the concerns of other individuals. This is a prime example of bias interfering with relationships within our industry. The fact that AI condones (by not addressing) this behavior is just more of the same. The lack of censure of AI members for their actions is one of the reasons I left AI.
I've been an appraiser for a long time and have never heard of those designations. If you read the requirements, @Michigan CG is correct. There are no education requirements, tests, or any other standards.
Michigan CG does state in his signature: "You do not know what you do not know."

Let me educate you about the NAR designations:
First, you have to be a member of a NAR organization and have all AQB courses completed; both pre-requisite, then have additional experience hours, and then pass additional tested courses. Then you have to keep up your NAR membership by attending the courses, as well as your licenses and related courses for renewal.

If you are indicating the cost of a membership is telling, then keep in mind you have to be a member of a NAR organization, then pay your additional dues.

Whether you believe that for your line of work a certain designation is preferred, it doesn't change the fact that NAR is the largest trade organization in America. NAR courses address the forefront of technology and buyer and seller behavior, and they influence real estate policy more than any other organization. Being a member of NAR provides knowledge that trickles down to other organizations later in the cycle. For instance, right now there are many courses on Ibuyers. Appraisal organizations have barely begun to address that an increasing percentage of sales are peer to peer transactions enabled by tech.

As far as the AI designations, the courses were good, but the test and other requirements didn't have much to do with what I was doing in my practice so I decided to drop pursuing the MAI during the final stages of the process. NAR provides me better representation for my practice areas in real estate. I also do not really care much for the attacks by AI designated members on NAR (such as this thread) and the lack of inclusion and diversity of ideas. I am glad to see they are trying to make a change by sponsoring these inclusion courses, maybe I'll reconsider joining if it makes sense down the road. Seeing that they (AI)are allowing persons to pursue designation when they publically demean the designation of industries largest organization and label them as worthless shows they are completely out of touch and do not value diversity or an inclusive thought model.

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
AQB Certified USPAP Instructor is a great designation to have. Not only does it carry weight, it affords you the option of teaching, should you so desire.

Russ Kitzberger

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
AQB Certified USPAP Instructor is a great designation to have. Not only does it carry weight, it affords you the option of teaching, should you so desire.
How much time did you have involved in gaining the certification between studying and attending any prep courses? How did you get your 35 hours of teaching in?

NP_MAI

Professional Status
State
Florida
I admit that I missed the education requirements: "Tested education: 45 hours for the RAA or 60 hours for the GAA of tested course work in addition to the Appraiser Qualification Board's education requirement at the time of certification."

I am glad you find value in it, however; this designation has no place being compared to the MAI.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Even it I earned a designation I would never put letters behind my name.

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
How much time did you have involved in gaining the certification between studying and attending any prep courses? How did you get your 35 hours of teaching in?
The Instructor course is one of the most challenging courses I've been in, although I will say the instructors I had weren't the best (IMO). It was, as I recall, a 3 day course - and I spent most of my awake time outside the course studying. I think the fail rate for 1st time test takers is about 60%? At least it was then. As far as the 35 hours teaching - I was associated with Columbia Institute and taught several 'non-USPAP' CE courses prior to that.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
What is the funniest is when an appraiser is the only person in their company and they make their title CEO, or president, or chief appraiser or something like that. You're just an appraiser.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
What is the funniest is when an appraiser is the only person in their company and they make their title CEO, or president, or chief appraiser or something like that. You're just an appraiser.
Ha - when my father was still practicing, we used to joke about announcing new titles in our company to the local paper which ran stuff like that. I figured we could each get at least one "promotion" into that section - maybe a second one each if we only did it once a year or so. I wish we'd done that. :)

OTOH - to your point about not putting letters behind your name: why? One of the major selling points to getting a designation is the advertising aspect. Why wouldn't you want it there? If you earn it, might as well use the title and let people know what distinguishes you. I don't have any sort of designation, but if I ever did, I'd certainly include it on all appraisal related stuff. Seems silly not to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: A K
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks