• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Best way to acquire new customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newportvt

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Connecticut
Hi,

I realize there is not a whole lot of work out there for many. However, I am about to begin attempting to find some people out there to let me do some appraisals for them. I will be a trainee with a mentor but I need to stir up some business - even if it is only 2 or 3 appraisals a week. Any advice?? Thank you!

toddmallard

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
Maybe you should ask the school that told you there's plently of work out there for appraisers. The field always needs more trainees to get trained on the vast number of appraisals to be done.. At least that's what I hear about those appraisal schools.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I don't think you'll need a fireproof suit for posting this in the Newbies/Appraiser WannaBe section, but, I think most appraisers out there are of the opinion that trainees should not be actively seeking appraisal assignments.

I can certainly sympathize with you if your mentor is slow right now, but I do not think a trainee should solicit business.

I may be the only trainee on this forum that will take this stance, maybe not. I know from experience, and yes I learned the hard way, that some people that seek out appraisers with trainees are bottom-feeders. Additionally, you may be taking work out of an established appraiser's pocket.

You'll probably get opinions that are on the other side of the fence from mine. I simply don't think it is ethical for appraisal apprentices to solicit business for their mentor.

After I learned my lesson, I got together with my mentor and developed an outline on how he should market himself properly.

Best of luck on your apprenticeship.

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
I know of some highly qualified appraisers that right now would kill for 2-3 full fee appraisals a week. Some have gone out of business, do to the lack of business.

Let your mentor do what he is supposed to do...which is to run his/her business. You are a trainee and your job is to learn.

Jim Onderisin

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
The housing industry is in recession and real estate agents, appraisers, home inspectors, home warranty sales people, and virtually every other occupation connected with the industry is hurting. It's been going on awhile now and will likely continue for the forseeable future.

Some appraisers are willing to exploit prospective trainees for free advertising/marketing by telling them they'll train them if they bring in their own business. If the appraiser can get 50 prospective trainees out soliciting business for them without pay, they are way ahead of the game.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
... Some appraisers are willing to exploit prospective trainees for free advertising/marketing by telling them they'll train them if they bring in their own business. If the appraiser can get 50 prospective trainees out soliciting business for them without pay, they are way ahead of the game.

I couldn't agree with you more Jim. This is common practice for RE Brokers in my neck of the woods. It goes hand in hand with the idea that if you throw enough dirt on the wall some of it will stick.

If I do happen to come across a good source of business or am able to open some doors for my mentors, I will at that point eliminate myself from the equation. Let my mentors do their thing, and hopefully they will meritoriously earn the contact. I don't ever want to hold myself out there as the only reason for procurement of assignments.

I am not trying to flame the original poster. I just thought maybe an opposing view from a fellow trainee might enlighten him or her. Like Todd said, leave the business side to the mentor and just learn, learn, learn.

lizhorvath

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
No offense, but "only" 2-3 appraisals a week would be a dream come true to some of us right now...
Keep reading the Newbie threads - there is a ton of information in them...
Good luck!

Mike Siegfried

Professional Status
State
California
Hi,

I realize there is not a whole lot of work out there for many. However, I am about to begin attempting to find some people out there to let me do some appraisals for them. I will be a trainee with a mentor but I need to stir up some business - even if it is only 2 or 3 appraisals a week. Any advice?? Thank you!

Well, prayer is not working so far. You might try Scientology.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks