• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Best way to keep printer paper dry in a damp climate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
In this part of Florida, about this time of year, the in-home office temparture is just about right. No need to run the AC 24/7. Result is very damp air. My printer (HP 2100) will sometimes grab 5 or more sheets at a time, and then jamb.

Drying by microwave works fine. Drives all moisture out. (Cought on fire, one time). Warming section of range/oven works, too. Several years ago, I built a drying box with a night-light bulb as a heat source. It worked fine. Was cardboard and finally fell apart.

I suspect running the AC all the time is the only practical solution. Any bright ideas out there?

Will Trueheart

Sophomore Member
Don't know if this would work for you but how about a large airtight storage box that would hold a case of paper?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Thomas:

I have in the past collected a large quantity of those little sacs tossed into showboxes and electronics equipment cases... when heated in a oven to dispell all stored liquid, and then tossed into a fairly airtight plastic container they tend to hold moisture down in paper stored therein

You CAN buy 'heat sticks' , pricy and energy suckers...

OR do more or less what you accomplished with your carboard/light combination, placeing a a 60 watt bulb SAFELY away from the paper products ( I made a 'box' outof pegboard) in a enclosed container of cardboard, wood or pressboard, will in a less expensive manner accomplish about the same goal.

Other tips, store non-secured paper products as high off the floor as you can, moisture at floor level tends to be higher.
Plastic boxes tend to 'wick IN moisure as pressures change... pressboard boxes seal 'well enough' to do a better job unless you have a life collection of those little sacs to toss in. :wink:

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
If your paper gets damp in an unopened pack then this might not be that good an idea. But I was thinking a large freezer or zip lock bag. Just put a newly opened pack of paper in the plastic bag maybe?

BarbaraNJ

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Just to "piggy back" on Lee Ann's comment....

Hardware stores 'round here sell small (about the size of a letter envelope) burlap-type bags filled with a material similar to that which is sprinkled on oil spots on concrete to dry them up.

The typical application is to hang a bag or two in a closet to keep clothes dry.

You could put one of these bags into your case of paper or within the drawer or closet where the paper is kept.

When the "bag" gets damp from soaking up moisture, you place it in an oven to remove the dampness and just re use it.

The only place this won't work is when the paper is actually in your printer. The only suggestion I have for this is to keep only the amout in the tray that you are using. A pain in the neck, esp. having to re load all the time.

Good Luck !!!

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Tom, ......You could move to a state in the Mountain Time Zone ! Humidity simply has not adapted well to our higher elevations out here. Greetings, from 6,840 feet.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
My indoor weather stations says humidity is about 25%, no problem here at 6,172. I did find it better to keep the paper in my office and not in the garage.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Actually, running the AC only a few hours a day may be enough to cut the humidity enough to help the paper. That would be my first choice to try.

If you don't want to run the AC, a small dehumidifier in a small, fairly tight room might do the trick.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
BTW, I think in such a warm situation you need some additional on-site advice. I'll just pack my fishing rod and some shorts and be down in 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks