• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Black List Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pato

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
My largest client is a bank who advised that they are now marketing mortgages to CitiMortage, which involves ABN AMRO. ABN notified my client that I was on the exclusionary list for some unidentified issue with ABN. I knew nothing of this nor remember any interaction with ABN or CitiMortgage. They advised I could submit a letter to the legal department, which I am sending. Has anyone experienced a exclusionary list from Citi or ABN? If so, would they provide the information concerning the decision on black listing? When a client quits using an appraiser, it is difficult to get them back and I am concerned as I really depend on the bank's business having a long relationship with them.

Tony Lehn

Professional Status
State
Indiana
Good luck. I have dealt with the same issue with another lender. The letter to the legal dept. is pretty much just for their records. The group I dealt with had no intention of changing their minds. They said they are a private company and can make these decisions. They are right. There is nothing we can do.

Greg Bell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Louisiana
Sorry , your out.It doesn't matter what "Crime" you supposedly committed they can black list anybody they want , and so can you......

pato

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Thanks, that is pretty much what I suspected.

pato

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Thank you. Not what I wanted to hear.

pato

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Sorry , your out.It doesn't matter what "Crime" you supposedly committed they can black list anybody they want , and so can you......

Thanks, just what I didn't want to hear.

George W Dodd

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Sorry, this is restraint of trade. They can choose to not use your services but as long as you are a licensed appraiser in good standing with your state they don't have the right to tell other people not to use you. It's called restraint of trade. I am aware of one current law suite that is somewhat based on this type scenario.
Contact an attorney, get them to find out exactly what the "problem" is and then have him/her respond on your behalf. You are more likely to resolve the situation.

ramrcdk

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Hi I also want to know where I can check to see if I am on a "Black List" and what constitutes being placed on one? Any help greatly appreciated. I am not aware of being "on one" but surely in foreclosure comp market areas, I have not been able to "make everyone happy" and I am guessing you can be put on this list for doing your J-O-B.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
When I was listed it was because a local appraiser reviewed some
appraisals and said they were bad. He'd been trying to eat my
lunch for years and that is the opportunity they give review appraisers.
Can you say, 'conflict of interest?' I had some lenders call and comment
on my work product....the issue quickly went away.

So my guess (only a guess) is that someone reviewed your work and
said you were too high.

PS-It use to be difficult to be approved, then FIRREA came along
and made the playing field a billard table, 'we are all licensed, so
we are all equal', so now the 'black balling' process comes later
rather than sooner.

marc paolella

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Getting on an exclusionary list is very dangerous. It can propagate like a virus to the point where you will need to find another job.

And restraint of trade is nice lingo, but any bank can exclude you, and any purchaser of mortgages from that bank can also exclude you no problem. The cost to fight it could run into the 6 figures, and you'll probably lose.

That's why it's so important to make your appraisals bulletproof. Because bullets WILL be fired at it as it travels through the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks