• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Board Meeting Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultraviolet

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Arizona
Anyone have any news from the board meeting today?

Please post!

:icon_mrgreen:

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arizona
Anyone have any news from the board meeting today?

Please post!

:icon_mrgreen:
I was there until lunch, can't speak to what happened in the afternoon. Karl was there, and Julie, and Raul, and about a dozen folks from Zaio all wearing matching black shirts, and my old buddy Roy M. Karl gave a great speech, if a little colorful. There is a new assistant AG. Someone needs to tell GC not to talk. What else can I tell you?

Julie Friess

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I am not sure anyone wants news from the Board meeting today. The good news is that we had a really nice out pouring of appraisers at the meeting showing that they really want to see something happen at the Board and are interested in what goes on. The bad news is that the Governor plans to disband the Board with the other 50 boards so she can cut her budget, combined the appraisal board with the Board of Realtors, put Deb Pearson possibly on as commissioner, put 2 appraisers (you heard me right) on as the only investigators, and get ready, 1 person to handle complaints, and that's it. In addition, the Appraisal Board is going over budget because they are trying very hard to enforce the law and have been sending out lots of complaints to investigation and getting lots of results from it. A license was revoked today, one suspended and another one surrendered, among other things. There would not be a problem with the budget thing because the Board has an $800,000 reserve of money that it is supposed to be able to tap. Do you know where that money comes from? Appraisers fees and renewals. The Governor will not let them have any of that money. She plans to take that money from the Board, and sweep it into the general fund to help her budget deficit and basically screw over the appraiser and the public. The Arizona Board says they really only need about $50,000 of their own $800,000 but they know they can't get it even though it belongs to them. In addition, the Governor has "swept" or taken all the money that would fund the Department of Financial Institutions investigations and enforcement, and the FBI's money as well, so both of those agencies are underfunded and cannot do investigations on any of the mortgage fraud issues or problems that are plaguing our state (really our nation, but we need to focus here since no other state is behaving so irrationally). By doing this she is essentially telling all the crooks out there that there is no law at all, and to come to Arizona, because here, it is legal to steal (she does it), legal to commit fraud, legal to do whatever because without enforcement there is no law.
So if anyone does not like what they are hearing, now is the time to react and respond. You can e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send you an attachment with links and subjects to write your Senator, your Congressman, and the Governor, and tell them what you think about what is going on before they vote on it and allow it to happen.

Today was a very long day. There was a lot of things going on at the meeting in addition to these issues. It is said that this proposal is the reason why the Governor has not filled any of the vacancies on the Board. So I guess they will remain vacant for the next 6 months to a year while she tries to push this through congress and find a way to show that the state can stay compliant with FIRREA while doing things this way.
Julie Friess
Sedona Appraisal Research Associates, LLC.

Julie Friess

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Ha Dave! I just read your post. Maybe you should tell him?

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
State
Arizona
One thing that will be interesting is if this proposal to eliminate the appraisal board and put us under the DRE gets any traction. Lots of opinions offered about that today, almost all against the proposal. I'm personally undecided.

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Did I ever tell you guys about the time the chairman of the Arizona Board of Appraisal forced me to eat fried calf testicles?

Don't pay any attention to me, we just got home from a Gala Reception at the Biltmore. Free drinks and all that.....

Last edited:

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I was there for a few hours this afternoon and can report nothing very exciting. The board did stand firm on a few issues and refused to accept an incomplete application for one person, didn't reduce some requirements for another who asked and escalated an issue with a guy who ignored their subpoena.

Sure was not happy to read the post above about eliminating the board altogether. They have their problems but I truly believe that overall their impact is positive and very important. The Governor was big on licensing mortgage brokers in her State of the State message. What a disappointment to build an organization to manage them and let us slip into an abyss. But then I'm pretty disappointed about the AZDFI group as well. Those people were psyched and enthusiastic and very effective and they seem to have been swept under the rug too.

Tudor

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I was there all day yesterday, was quite informative.

I do wish that I knew all of the details to each case, would be easier to understand the boards decisions.

One thing I am having a hard time understanding is why the punishment for fraud is not revocation. If an appraisers certifies that they did inspect the property and then admits after that they did not inspect (trainee actually inspected), isn't that fraud? That's the main reason there are so many issues with appraisers these days, the untrained licensees/trainees.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
An open letter to the AZ Board, From Karl Keeler: Please forward to ANYONE that might care.

Thank you for allowing me to speak today. Guess it would be nice to have a CE Class on Public Speaking. Reason why your room is getting fuller each month with Appraisers, Is I am adamant about getting more GOOD Appraisers to get to the meetings to show that the Board does have support from those that TRY to do an honest Appraisal. There is NOT a single Appraiser that has NOT done an Appraisal with errors in it. & there is some complaints that should not even reach the board & I do applaud you for realizing that & not "Frying" every Appraiser that comes before you. I am not advocating that the Appraisal Board be combined with the RE Board I can see many problems with that scenario. What I'd like to see is a draft done for consistency in rulings & get as many Appraisers as possible to fight to enact legislation for fines. This would generate income SO when someone comes before you & says "It's only these two Appraisals, the board could simply issue an order that the Investigators could go & audit that Appraisers files to be sure. In the event that there were other questionable files they'd be fines to pay which in return would pay for the investigations. Where else in the State Government is there meeting being held where those that will be affected are showing up asking you to issue harsher punishment???

Many think that the board MAY abuse the power of Fines. I say NO cause they'd be like there was today many Appraisers that would be willing to monitor & report any abuse of the system. I know that the horses have left the Barn & the doors have been shut BUT least at least try to save the barn.

More to follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks