• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Boarded up windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom O'Malley

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I have a rehabbed home that has a couple windows boarded up. There are new windows behind them but it was boarded for security purposes in a rougher neighborhood. Do I need to require the boards to be removed?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Yep

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Why not?

10 9 8

Michael Tipton

Professional Status
State
Florida
Bedrooms typically offer a least two egress options in case of fire, etc. Directly thru a window to the exteroir and via door thru the dwelling. Boarded windows restrict/remove an egress option resulting in a safety issue for the subject.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Depends on how they're boarded up.

The windows that are installed (presumably) function as designed. This is America and people can enjoy they're property as they see fit. I wouldn't hestitate to include photos and report that some of the windows have boards over them. But condition the appraisal on their removal? They can just put them back up before I get out the driveway.

dobie

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
I am not an FHA expert by any means. But removing the boarding might conflict with the requirements of the property insurer vis a vis vacant properties. This used to be the case (maybe not anymore).

Michael Tipton

Professional Status
State
Florida
Inadequate access/egress from bedrooms to exterior of home is the first ltem listed as a risk to the health and safety of the occupants that will require automatic repairs for existing properties per Mortgagee Letter 2005-48.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks