• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bomb Shelter Or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmilingDog

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I saw a post 6 months ago... but thought this was a different spin on the whole bomb shelter thing.

I've come across my 2nd bomb shelter amenity house in 10 years!

This time it's a subterranean "basement" dug about 25 feet underground. The walls from what I could see were concrete block, but the owner (a Dutch immigrant) said there were steel plates, more concrete and more block wall making the wall thickness about 3-4 feet thick. The floor of the bomb shelter and the ceiling were of the same material. The shelter had a water purification system, it's own hot water heater, plumbing etc. and measures about 20x35 feet (it's under the yard with exterior only access - in case the house was destroyed you can still get out).

There are 3 doors to get in, the first being a steel door (like those seen on ships or submarine torpedo tubes), and then a steel plate door and finally a very heavy door (wood probably).

It was earie down there.

Afte some thoughts I decided to post it here.

Should I give it any value? Functionally and politically obsolete? Do we expect a nuclear bomb anytime soon? There are no comps. and he said there's only 2 bomb shelters in the entire city (pop. 75,000 +/-), which I can't verify.

Can it mentioned as a basement?

I'd like your thought. :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

Ed Potrafke

Sophomore Member
What would the typical buyer use it for? Storage? A storm Shelter?Can it be converted to other uses?

I don't know your market, but my guess is it would be used to store junk in, and maybe for bragging rights, I'd give it nominal value, and move on.

P.S. Just had a thought, I don't know where in California you are, but with water purification system, and what not, maybe you could find properties with similar ammenities, kind of a type of earthquake insurance maybe.

Blue1

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
A wine cellar! :beer:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I would give it minimal value...probably storage only. Probably could be a wine cellar???. Don't think California needs a storm cellar. I have seen a few actual bomb shelters in more than 23+ years of appraising here in Colorado Springs. We are a high priority target area with the North American Air Defense Headquarters (Cheyenne Mountain Underground)...now talk about a bomb shelter! The doors are 10' thick steel. The last house I did that had one was built for an Air Force General back in the 50s. The present owner used it as a dark room.

With all the talk about chemical/biological threats people are a bit more concerned but not to the extent of adding value for a bomb shelter. My wife and I did discuss using our walk-in closet in the master bedroom as a "safe room". It has no windows and is large enough for the two of us. Replete with blankets, bottled water, and coffee can for ahhh, well you know. Two rolls of duct tape and plastic to seal the door was the final touch. Don't think we really will ever use it but it makes her feel more secure.

Hey, given the current state of affairs in this wacky world everybody should be building bomb shelters (I came of age during the Cuban Missle Crisis and they were real popular then). :rolleyes:

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
George,

Everytime I see your avatar, it makes me :rofl: That is great.

Agree with the others, storage. Before I gave it similar value to a storage unit of similar size, I'd consider it's accessibility and the potential difficulty of getting large items in and out. Is is functionally the same?

But what a cool place to hide the kids Christmas presents, have a Halloween party, and of course, store wine!!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Joe....

I was stationed at Pease AFB in Portmouth NH when the cuban thing broke out. Spent several weeks as a ramp rat guarding B47s. Think it was some of the coldest I have ever been.

SmilingDog

Professional Status
State
California
Well after much consideration and the inputs received... I gave it "no additional market value". Why?

Well the city it is located in had a BIG earthquake back in the late 1980's (Whittier Earthquake). The shelter may have sustained some weakening or damage. Here in Los Angeles county homes can not be built anymore with cellars, and while this shelter can be used for a variety of uses (darkroom, storage, wine cellar, etc.) I thought in the end to treat it like a shed or out building with no functional use to the typical buyer.

The wildest thing about this is the entrance is disguised to look like a square planter with flowers, etc.

Really wild...

Oh and by the way... it's close enough to some old military targets. So it could have been hit during the Cold War....

Thanks for all the great input!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks