• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bomb Shelter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebron23

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
I ran into this scenerio with a realtor who is asking for my assistance. She wants to know if this would pass a FHA inspection. I told her this would be outside my scope but I would seek some advice from my peers. Here is what she wrote:

"This bomb shelter was in place prior to my seller purchasing the home through an FHA loan a few years ago. The previous owners were prisoners of war in World War II and spent time in a concentration camp.

Upon purchasing the property, my seller removed all ventilation to the shelter by cutting off the vents outside and cementing over them. She also bricked up the entry way to the shelter at that time. The shelter also has the property's only sump pump located inside the bricked up bomb shelter. In addition, there was standing water inside of the shelter when it was bricked up and probably still has a water problem to this day. The water cannot be removed since the seller has not been able to find a pump that will remove the last couple of inches of water at the floor level.

Our fear is that if we receive a contract that it is FHA, we will not be able to get the loan through without problem with the appraisal. It is very important that we have concrete information from FHA to make sure that any modifications can be made at this time or if this property would be eligible for FHA financing."

Any thoughts ???

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
Call your HOC and ask them.

If the outcome is crucial you'll want it straight from the horse's mouth.

That said, what did you mean by this:

The water cannot be removed since the seller has not been able to find a pump that will remove the last couple of inches of water at the floor level.

Since the bunker and the sump are completely sealed off, what last couple of inches are you talking about? In the main basement area? It sounds to me like a new sump should be dug so the pump can be below floor level. That much standing water is a big issue.

This situation is sort of crazy. With the sump sealed off it can't be serviced or monitored. Is it even working?

Last edited:

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I'm not sure I understand the question. Is the "shelter" free standing, above ground or dug into the ground with an above ground entry. Like Marcia, I'm somewhat confused about the concern for water in a completely sealed structure. If it is completely sealed (sounds more like a crypt, now) how does anyone know what's in there?

Too many questions to give any good answers. My best guess would be, if it is free standing, to find some way to remove or demolish it.

Lebron23

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Thanks Marcia and Chris.......I will get a better clarification and also call HOC.

Lebron23

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Here's some clarification:

The shelter is dug into the ground with entry from the basement. The sump is behind the sealed wall. The standing water is in the bomb shelter not in the main basement. I don't know the condition of the sump at this time since it is behind the wall.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
Not to be a smart-axx but it's critical to determine whether it was built with permits. Also the appraiser might need to consider functional depreciation because there's not much market demand these days...

Ted Markow

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Hampshire
First of all bomb shelters were a product of the early days of the cold war. In the mid to late sixties many bomb shelters were built and encouraged to be built out of the fear of the unknown. All of the shelters that I have seen here in the Northeast have always occupied a part of the basement mostly in a corner that has the highest grade on the outside. As they are self contained and further contained by "bricking" up the entrance they become completely sealed and should not be adverse or a safety issue. Maybe an honorable mention of its existence. No issues in my book.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I have a hard time imagining why you would close off a room in the basement. Especially when the sump pump is in there. Makes me wonder what else might be in there. Any missing persons? :unsure:

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
I'm wondering how the owner knows there is two inches of standing water in a sealed off room they cannot see. This leads me to believe the room was sealed off in the first place due to the defective sump function. rather than fixing the water problem, they just sealed it off.

This does not sound good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks