• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Bonus rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
How does everyone handle Bonus Rooms?

This one is a very large fully finished room over the garage on the second floor. Has direct access to it from the hallway. I would just include this a normal room except the hallway providing access to the room has a sloped ceiling and is low and feels very awkward to walk through. I believe a really tall person would have to duck or at least lean his head against the wall of the the hallway.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Jeff:

Search under FROG (Finished Room Over Garage) Theres a whole thread on this subject!

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
In this market FROGS are typical and as long as they are direct access and finished very similarly to the rest of the house, I count it in the GLA. Per ANSI, sounds like yours would count with some sort of functional adjustment due to the stairway ceiling height. WAG on the functional??? Or your professional opinion since no others with same/similar functional obsolescence found???? Strange...

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Normally, the ones I see have full height ceilings, or a sharp drop to a knee wall, so they comp well with no adjustment. I have seen some attics done like this, so we treat it separately in the Basement section. That way we're not comparing apples and oranges.

Roger

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Ask yourself this question..."if this was my house would I count it as living space?" If so, then include it. There are a couple of lines at the bottom of the grid where you could add this "bonus room".

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
...sounds like yours would count with some sort of functional adjustment due to the stairway ceiling height....

Pam, I think you hit the nail on the head. The room is finished out just like the rest of the house. It's just that odd ball hallway. I think that has an effect.

BUT if parents are buying it for a kids room they could probably care less. I think I will make a functional adjustment of some sort and let it be.

BTW, they are becoming very common here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks