• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Border Collie owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephHigdem

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Idaho
Anybody have any recommendations for book(s) on Border Collie training?

I was out in the middle of nowhere this afternoon & ended up with a new dog. The poor thing was half starved, his coat is a wreck & his pads are raw. He's at the vet's tonight, getting neutered, shots & wormed but will be coming home tomorrow. What I've read so far makes it pretty clear I have to do some pretty serious research on training & "working" with him.

One site recommended a fairly aggressive crate training regimen, but that seems a bit counter intuitive given the active, intelligent nature of the breed.

Thanks in advance.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I've never owned a Border Collie, but my brother has had a few. For sure they need room to run, and they have a tendancy to try to protect whoever they determine to be their responsibility.

Pictures?

Let us know how it goes, and thanks for having the heart to help. You may have rescued your future best friend! :flowers:

Obsolescent

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
My neighbor has one and she's out there every day throwing the frisbee while they wait for the bus after school. The dog chases it and brings it back in true border collie fashion. He's a cool dog.

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
My mother-in-law has 2 mini border collies, at least that is what I think they are. They are the ones that look like Lassie. Anyways she cage trained them both. Great dogs!

DHeriford

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I have a true border collie and lover her to death. By far the smartest dog i've ever haved. But i had the advantage of having her since she was first wined from her mother.

They are very loyal dogs (almost overly, when my puppy gets in trouble she'll sulk until you go back to her and tell her its ok). As far as training i would with out a dout start that kennel training asap. But that goes for ANY dog imho. It gives them a place that is theirs, and gives you a place to put them when your going to be out of the house for several hours. When i first got blaze i took her every where i went. I didn't care what kind of store (walmart, lowes, king soopers)or how long i was going to be in the car. When she was really little she would sit on my lap and bury her head (i think she was alittle scared) but doing this has made her a great traveling dog. Now whenever i go to the front door she's waiting and wants to go. And knows where she's allowed to be in the car.

As far as agility training there are lots of websites you can check out, even some basic starter kits you can get. I would just recommend taking your new friend out with a ball or frisbee. Don't throw it too far, unless your dog already knows how to fetch, or you'll just be walking to get it lol. Blaze is alot easier to deal with if she gets a good 15-20 mins of fetch playing and a good walk in the morning. Helps get some of that built up energy out of her system.

They need a TON of attention. Because of how smart they are they become bored VERY easy and when they are bored they are just like a normal bored 2 year old lol. Things get messy and very fast. I would highly recommend another dog for compansionship, but only after your new dog has bonded to you. Typically takes a couple of weeks. Blaze sits at my feet when i'm on the computer and follows me every where. But put her outside with my Dads shepard and the two of them just have a blast. Best buddies.

DHeriford

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
My mother-in-law has 2 mini border collies, at least that is what I think they are. They are the ones that look like Lassie. Anyways she cage trained them both. Great dogs!

What your thinking of is Shelties i believe. Border collies don't look like lassie :)

This is a sheltie
http://www.everythingsheltie.com/listings/listing_images/5695781.jpg

This is a red/white border collie (blaze is a red/white, but they come in black/white, and red/black/white)
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images12/BorderCollieJadeRedWhiteIMG_0141.JPG

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada

icisic7

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Steph, bless you for your big heart, taking in that stray. :Emoticon_hug:

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida
Steph - good for you! Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the new pup!

PS - We crated our two mutts from day 1. Really helped with housebreaking and learning the "rules". Our crating lasted about 18 months - we put the girls up at night and whenever we were gone. The rest of the time they were kept outside the crate and close to us.

I think a crate will give your new fellow a safe place while he integrates into your household. Lots of treats and praise are the secret - figure out which treat is his favorite and give that only when he is put in the crate. Also, it might help to keep the crate where he can see you.

Good luck!

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
I am going to get flack for this. But to do the dog right you need land and live stock.

They are not met to be kept in side, they are not a house dog. We have had several over the years and currently have one now.

They can be very hyper and penned up. They need lots and lots of activity to keep there sharp minds in tact and not go nuts. Even with that said. they can still do some crazy things.

They are a herding dog and will at times try and herd people and kids by nipping at there heels.

So please tell us you have the space that the dog will need and the time to play with the dog.

By the way they love to go place in your pick up truck with you. the first command they learn is load and sit.

I have always owned aussies and border collies.

My personal feeling if you have to create train a border collie you have no business owning one. there breed is not to lay in a create and wait for there human to do something. There job is to work until there sunset years and they want to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks