• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Bought a Mac, how to run Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigander

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Hi, Since I am fortunate only have to write narratives, I bought a Mac, but now am finding myself limited in access to a host of applications that require Internet Explorer (including the MLS). The sales person told me it would be simple to partition the hard drive and run Windows on one side of the computer so I could access all the sites that I can't with the Mac browser, but before I go to the expense of purchasing a Windows operating system and partition software, I would love to see if anyone on the forum has done so successfully or if it is a bit of a loss leader.

Thanks in advance

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Serena:

I am certainly no expert, but FWIW, I have seen very few situations where running something like Parallels on a recent Mac in order to "host" Windows hasn't worked reasonably well. In fact, I'd say that for the most part, it's been considerably BETTER that "reasonably well"... :)

You mentioned Internet Explorer specifically... Is the situation such that some important sites only officially support running them in IE? Is there not another Mac browser that will work? Failing that, I'd say that your best bet is to run IW under Parallels, or similar. Be careful when shopping on-line for a legit copy of Windows XP - some awfully authentic-sounding places may offer copies of WinXP of "questionable lineage" (LOL) at prices that ultimately turn out to be too good to be true... :-\ That said, some retail outlets may still be a little too proud of that software if they determine you MUST have it... :-\

I'm sure you'll get advice and feedback from more knowledgeable users here, though. It has been pretty slow here today, so I imagine most are travelling, getting ready for guests, or similar. But, as you can imagine, it won't be long before they just cannot stay away any longer and get back on-line - even if they have to sneak away to do it, LOL.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Thanks Randall, we have other Windows based computers, but I was a Mac user for eons before our board of Realtors, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go with a system that only operates off of IE, period. So, now I am back to Mac but don't have access unless I use a PC. I can do that, but I would prefer all in one.

My understanding is that there are a couple die-hard Mac users on this forum who may be able to lend some advice. The Mac store said partioning was easy, but then stated that you have to reboot when you switch sides if you use Boot Camp?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
our board of Realtors, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go with a system that only operates off of IE, period
doesn't that suck? I mean if its like our system it is extremely slow, frequently locks up altogether and very frequently requests that you reset or reattempt printing because the MLS had a glitch.
I have decided that I own my last windows machine. i don't care what I have to to do dump this sorry crap, I want out of windows based computers.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Several Options.

Thanks Randall, we have other Windows based computers, but I was a Mac user for eons before our board of Realtors, in their infinite wisdom, decided to go with a system that only operates off of IE, period. So, now I am back to Mac but don't have access unless I use a PC. I can do that, but I would prefer all in one.

My understanding is that there are a couple die-hard Mac users on this forum who may be able to lend some advice. The Mac store said partioning was easy, but then stated that you have to reboot when you switch sides if you use Boot Camp?
Forget bootcamp when setting up for appraisal work. It is very useful if you want to run the latest games, but not practical for business use, IMHO. I use Parallels to run XP Pro. For the additional cost of Parallels and a copy of Windows, you can use IE to access those poorly designed sites that require it. You can setup Parallels to run IE in a window such that it is the only part of Windows you see. You can also set the preferences so that My Documents, My Pictures, etc. are mapped to the corresponding Mac folders, so that every thing is in one place and you don't have to run Parallels to get to the files. Parallels works very well for me.

Another option is Northstar, which uses X11 to run client software to access IE (or any other windows program) running on a remote machine. For the cost of Parallels and Windows you could subscribe to Northstar and run IE for 3 years. With the security advantages of not having Windows on my machine, zero maintenance and access from any computer; I think this is the way I would go if I had not already bought Parallels and Windows.

Another option is Fusion combined with a copy of Windows, which is very similar to Parallels. Recently published testing shows Fusion is faster running Vista that Parallels, but the reverse is true of XP.

There is hope MLS systems will change as Macs continue to gain market share. First American runs several afflicted MLS systems. Their RealQuest data service used to be IE only, but it now works in Firefox and Safari too.

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Thanks Couch!

Before I set up this new computer I would really like to talk with you and with Mentor (whom I understand is also a die-hard Mac user) so I do it right in the first place. I may have to use some appraisal software in the future, but for now am hoping to keep it strictly Word files.

Yeah Terrell, the PC camp really won out with the MLS systems. I was much happier on Macs before they went that route, but succumbed because of lack of access to necessisties. Hopefully a movement will arise that will let Mac users back into their systems again shortly.

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
I just knew CP would come to the rescue... :)

-------------[Edit]--------------

FWIW, I just read a post by someone I know who was commenting on VMware Fusion and thought that you might want to give this a read.

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2007/12/coffee-break--t.html

Be sure to read the comments at the bottom of the page. It is always good to hear from multiple users... ;-)

Anyway, IF this fits, you can find more info on this program at: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

I noticed it was $79. I have not used this software personally.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I just knew CP would come to the rescue... :)

-------------[Edit]--------------

FWIW, I just read a post by someone I know who was commenting on VMware Fusion and thought that you might want to give this a read.

http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkontherun/2007/12/coffee-break--t.html

Be sure to read the comments at the bottom of the page. It is always good to hear from multiple users... ;-)

Anyway, IF this fits, you can find more info on this program at: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/

I noticed it was $79. I have not used this software personally.

Hope this helps!
Read the comments, yes. But don't take them too seriously. The one guy mentions choosing Fusion because it can use the Boot Camp partition as the source for the virtual machine. It is a nice feature, but hardly a reason to choose Fusion over Parallels since the feature is available in Parallels too. :rof: Using a Boot Camp partition for virtualization is a good idea if one wants to run Boot Camp too. Some sacrifices must be made in the form of lost functionality in Fusion/Parallels. Features that conflict with Boot Camp, such as mapping folders in Windows to corresponding folders in Mac cannot be done since Boot Camp would not be able to find those locations too.

Fusion is the best choice if one is going to run Vista, as shown in the tests by MacTech. Another way to run IE is with CrossOver Mac, but it runs IE 6 as though it were installed on a Win 98 machine and may not work with some MLS systems. I have not looked at CrossOver for quite some time. It did not work well with MLXchange when I checked about a year ago, but looking at it now; it seems to work very well with Tempo. At $60 for the license as a total cost, it is definitely worth trying the free 30 demo to run Internet Explorer.

Last edited:

Michigander

Professional Status
State
Michigan
The big problem at this point is MLS; I have multiple sites, including MLXchange, Paragon, Realcomp, MiRealsource, etc. I have only tried it so far on MLXchange and Realcomp, neither of which work with the Mac browser and require IE. I will check into Parallel as that seems to be the recommended choice for the application that as of now I will be running.

Thanks!

If anyone else has any input, at this point I am all ears.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Do try the current 30 day demo of CrossOver office. It allows IE for Windows to run in the Mac OS and is by far the cheapest to use. I have run Paragon MLS in Firefox in the past, I don't know if the current release will work or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks