• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Brea Disciplines Ca AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

reviewbe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Some states have an appraiser recovery fund set up to pay stiffed appraisers. But Cal BREA doesn't, and has no authority to require payment to appraisers who have been stiffed. All they can do is deal with the licensing of the 'stiffers'.

Which is why it is important that when you appraisers DO get stiffed, you let your state board know. This accusation had 7 stiffed appraisers, some of whom were stiffed multiple times. That is a lot more compelling for the licensing agency than a single appraiser stiffed a single time. Sorry for that one appraiser, but that's just how it works. They only seem to go after AMC's who have a pattern of stiffing appraisers, not individual cases.

On the other hand, some licensing agencies will call the AMC on the stiffed appraisers behalf. Sometimes that unwanted attention from the enforcement people provides enough motivation for the AMC to pay up. I've seen it work numerous times.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
HVCC Appraisal.

Name should have said it all.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
The POS never intended to pay the appraisers and knew he was acting in an illegal manner. I would think that he could face criminal charges and go to jail.

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Most criminals are not nearly as intelligent as they like to think. Eventually, their actions catch up with them.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
What about the unpaid appraisals in this case?

http://www.orea.ca.gov/acc/1382_Dec_20150209-02.pdf
Unfortunately, the appraisers who got burned by this clown operation apparently never checked out the operation before they extended it credit....The ones in Oregon were particularly remiss because they apparently did not even bother to check if this AMC was licensed in Oregon (it was not). The appraisers only started checking up on this operation after they did not get paid and by then it was too late and they will probably never see a dime of what they are owed.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
There are more details in the accusation or complaint filed regarding what those lame, unbusiness-like and trusting appraisers did in researching this AMC, including researching the appraisersforum.com.

http://www.orea.ca.gov/acc/023309_Acc_20150209-02.pdf
It has always amazed me how some appraisers have been willing to extend credit to small dip-nut companies that they have barely even heard of know little or nothing about without doing any due diligence on these companies. I know an appraiser who got burned for 10 or 12 unpaid appraisals back in 2007 or 2008 by some mortgage broker who ran a one man mortgage shop working out of his garage - I just shook my head when I found out that the appraiser did not demand to paid upfront by the borrowers for those appraisals, which was allowed at the time

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I swear I am not dipping nuts in chocolate in the garage. We do that kind of stuff in the kitchen. :peace:

Glad I never heard of these guys and did no work for them.

reviewbe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
There are more details in the accusation or complaint filed regarding what those lame, unbusiness-like and trusting appraisers did in researching this AMC, including researching the appraisersforum.com.

http://www.orea.ca.gov/acc/023309_Acc_20150209-02.pdf

Ah, the old 'my computer crashed/was stolen' defense!!! And the book keepers computer as well!!! A string of bad luck for a guy who 'really wanted' to pay the appraisers, but then couldn't tell who he had paid and who he hadn't.

One hint; the unpaid appraisers are the ones calling and invoicing you repeatedly.

The excuses and stories never end with these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks