• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Breathing Mask For Nast Stinky Jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Just did a house (repo) that probably has 50+ cats in it.

The stence was unreal. Three attempts and I was driven out after only going into house 5-10 feet each time. Would then go into front yard and gag and cough for 10 mintues. Finally got the towel I used to wipe the inside of the windows and soak it in water (at the neighbors house of course). This really helped when I wrapped the towel around my face.

Has anyone ever bought a breathing mask to filter out the stence???? If so what type would you recommend. The paper type would have done no good in this situation...I first tried the towel without getting it wet and I last an extra 15-20 seconds.

If you have any suggestions...please pass them on. I'm ready to buy anything and just keep it available in case I ever come up against something like this in the future.

PS,
I'm normally can tolerate by bad odors. I used to work in a funeral home and had to help pick people up a few weeks after they died. That was like a breath of fresh air compared to that house today. NASTY....REALLY.....NASTY!

TEL2002

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Oops I meant HAD cats not HAS cats.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
I think you need a respirator with a carbon filter? Not sure on that thought. I just use dust masks in my Inspection business. I am sure you can find that info on line though.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Sir Lawrence whenever I encounter an REO property in the condition you described, I call the client and tell them I cannot complete the assignment until they have their field service company complete the "clean out" as they like to call it. I only do this maybe 2-3 times a year and I've never lost the assignment.....bear in mind if it's really bad and they re-assign it, relax and just imagine the other poor soul completing the assignment. :) One bit of advice for REOs is to make sure you have insect repellent in your vehicle.....if the house has fleas, it comes in handy....in the house you described, if they get rid of the cats, they might not get rid of the fleas. :) Every time I see you post here I think of these lines from my favorite book.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the
dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity:
but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act
their dream with open eyes, to make it possible.
—T. E. Lawrence from "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

Tom Barclay

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Oregon
You probably can get by with a commercial grade face mask with the charcoal canister filters used for paint and epoxy fumes. Covers your mouth and nose, remember to get some very tight fitting saftey glasses, because the fumes do get in your eyes, and then to your nose. You can get them at your local home improvement store, around $40. The different filters are spendy, at around $16 a pair, but they are rated to filter out nearly everything.
PS. You should charge enough for jobs like that to afford to just burn your clothes when you're done.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Sorry but I can't handle cats period. If that was my assignment I would say "no way". Oh, be sure to say the property is in "average condition" so the underwriter will buy it. :rofl:

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I had one like this - REO property that some *** was trying to purchase with an FHA loan in the Fair Haven (AKA Crack Haven) section of New Haven (those of you in CT will know the area ;)

Anyway, Second floor of a 3 family - I was told that the tenant had "dogs".....when I got up there with the realtor, I opened one of the bedroom door, and didn't get pushed back by the smell that badly, probably cause the first floor had numbed me so much, but what made it so bad was when I tried to step into the room, my foot went through the floor and subfloor because the waste of the dogs had just been left there, and had eaten through the carpet and subfloor, and made it as strong as cardboard.

Needless to say, things didn't go too well for the rest of the inspection, and I think I came in about $25K under the contract sales price - and it was under contract for $35,000. To this day I still think I might have over appraised it.

David Mullen

Getting rid of that odor is difficult and expensive. The floors have to be sanded and sealed and the walls need a complete repainting.

I would get estimates of the probable cost from a painter and a flooring company because it will not be cheap.

The men sanding the floors tell me that they don't like to sand floors like this because of the odors in the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks