• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Burned Out......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I've been burning both ends of the candle so long, I think I finally burned the last of the wax.......All thats left is the wick, and thats bad for my temper.....I look at my desk, and see the reports I have to type in, and can't get ANY motiviation to do them. It's getting harder and harder to drag my butt out of bed every morning. I used to be able to get out of bed at 5 AM, type for 2-3 hours before I left for my first appointment.....Now getting up at 7 is hard. Typing at night, after being on the road for 7-9 hours, fighting traffice in this humid weather in the NE, not at all fun.....And the weekends?? All I can think about is spending time with my fiancee and/or my dog.....

The pace of the last 2-3 years seemed to be getting worse year over year - I know most businesses would get happy from 5-10% year over year growth.....I would also if I had 2-3 other appraisers I was feeding work to and getting rid of the overflow that way, but it's just me, and I just don't trust anyone else to do it......I've cut myself waaaay back, and just don't want it anymore. It's one thing to be a good, successful appraiser, but I have come to the realization that I will NOT kill myself for this business, for my clients, or for anyone else.......I never thought I'd actually WANT a 9-5 job, no weekends, etc......but it's looking better and better every passing day.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
MHM,

Been there buddy. Took a week off of work and relaxed by getting out of town. Came back relaxed and not so stressed. Then only did what I felt like was a good pace enough to work 10 hour days and only 5 days a week. Meant cutting back refusing additional work. Which is not what everyone wants to do but if you can only handle so many then you can handle only so many. The good thing is that you can simply refuse work but only from your best clients.

Take some time you deserve it with everything else.

Amen and ditto that !!! I know exactly how you feel. I'm also completely out of patience with everybody, sick and tired of hearing the same crapola day in day out from LO's. UW's, property owners, etc. Told banker the other day that I'm sick and tired of having my chain pulled.....eventually even the most docile animal will get feed up with it and turn vicious on whoever is pulling his chain :eek:nfire:

jtrotta

M n M

aww, get into it maman ;) we want 24/7 ; we want ta smoke the candle at bof ends :p why go ta bed @ 10PM, when ya still gots another 3 hrs left in da tank; git up at 6am,crank out a few, get a couple of research jobs in, com on bro ya cant's quit now B) yer gonna make me loose fait :p

all ya needs is a typ pist :) put yer thinkin bag over yer head, com on now :beer:

cheer up it's only Mondey/Fridey/Mondey/Fridey/Mondey/Fridey/Mondey/Fridey :rofl:

:ph34r:

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Ya know the other thing I don't understand.....I explained to them all a few weeks back that I was going to cut things back, and please don't send more than X (a number determined by client) a week. When my turn time improved, and I was feeling a slight lessening of the stress, it's like they said "Hey, look - a good appraiser with fast turn times - lets send him more work".....I didn't really notice it at first, but am seeing it now. How much you wanna bet when I get dug out with the backlog, and my turn time pops back to where I like to see it (report out the door 7-10 days from the time it comes through the fax machine) that they'll start hammering away again......

::cringing as I say this:: Please Mr, Greenspan - Raise that rate, kill the bond markets for us!!!!!!

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Originally posted by MHMerriman@Aug 18 2003, 03:12 PM
All I can think about is spending time with my fiancee and/or my dog.....

Merriman,
Just wait until you add a couple kids. :eek:
The dog doesn't care how much money you make and probably misses you, so you should make appropriate adjustments. Don't know about the fiancee...you'll have to ask her what she thinks. ;) :lol:

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
The fiancee likes the cash, but misses me.......A mixed good and bad feeling in a lot of ways.......The dog, well.....she's 9 months old, and right now is taking a nap on my foot.....She had a big day playing at my parents pool with her cousins (Missy and Abby - 2 black labs - she's a yellow lab) and my fiancee.......And she's always curled up with me at the end of the night on the couch, or in bed.......I can't wait until she's a couple months older and I can take her on appointments with me!!!!

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
MHM,

In the immortal words of Bluto Blutarsky aka John Belushi, my advice to you is Drink Heavily! :beer:

Seriously, take a week off, hit the beach, fly a kite, you get the idea. I have been in this business a long time and have seen down cycles and found myself out of work on more than one occaison. Which is why I never, ever complain about too much work. The alternative is much worse, just ask the plus 7% unemployed in this country, most of whom are more educated than the average appraiser. Things have been good for the last 10 years, a lot of people in this business have only seen good times, that may change with the cooling off of the refi boom.

Make it now.

TC

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
All I can suggest is that if your fiancee starts sleeping on your foot while you're working then you'd better cut back on your hours. :)

TC is probably right, but your health and well-being are just as important.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Or you can go to my schedule.... :huh: :huh: didn't go to bed until 4:30AM last night and out by 11AM. Never in bed before 3AM. 7 days a week. If I'm awake, I appraise.

Had a condo project approval to do last night..been laying around since May 8th.....slightly mad client :blink: :blink:

You live the job MH, or they'll find someone else...then the girlfriend has no Benjamin's. Which is probably worse than a wife with no Benjamin's... :blink: :blink:

Sad but true. Been there. Done that.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks