• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Buying A New Laser Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I'm in the market for a new printer. This is to replace an eleven year old HP Laser Jet III which is the work horse of the office. Priorties are dependability, economy of operation, and speed in that order. Quality is not a concern as its primary functions are to produce MLS sheets and copies of reports for file. Color is not needed.

Have any of you recently shopped for a printer? Please share any knowledge gained. What is a fair price to pay for your recommendation? Thanks for your help.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Personally I like the brother products bought a 1440 last year. The duty cycle is 10,000 sheets a month. Not to shaby. The cost was around $250. Belive they have the 1770 now. The only down side and not really that you have to use HP drivers for some things. Like Metroscan would print upside down. Called and Brother tech told me to load the HP drivers for similar printer.

The HP's are also decent. Check out the duty cycle on them though. Depends on how much paper you go through a month. The Duty cycles are also only rated for letter size paper. So if you are like me you are using legal size paper. This will reduce the monthly duty cycle somewhat. I belive about 20-30% overall.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Just bought a DUPLEX Panasonic KXP-7100 from Tiger Direct.

Now they are about $175+-,

Still use old HP 6L, but it will die some day.

Bought Soldering iron with a "cup" on it, cut hole in toner cart., pour in refill(about $12)

Me save money and go to Russia. ed

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I just keep buying refurbished Laser Jet IIIs for under $200. I have had three so far and every one of them is good for about 200,000 copies. My first one got fried by a power surge attributable to lightening. The second one just finally wore out. Not the fastest anymore but ohhhhhh sooooo reliable! I get them from toner cart folks. By the way, I get toner carts for $48 and they last forever.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
L.

I bought the Brother 1440 at Office Max for $146 out of the catalog. They are refurbished units and work well. Sometimes you can get the new ones for $199. But read below as to why I use the Brothers...

Ryan...

When you need a new drum unit for your 1440 buy the refurbished ones at Office Max out of the catalogue as they are less than the price of a new drum unit...plus you get a toner cartridge to boot... you should have seen the Office Max guy's face when he tried to sell me the extended warranty on two 1440's...I said, I'm buying them for parts...like why would I pay $170 for a drum when I can get a refurbished printer for $146.....and they ship them right to your house..free

You can buy bulk toner for them for $17 a bottle..which I do and I recharge them by pulling out a plug and dumping the bulk toner in..beats $70 for a cartridge. All my machines are Brothers: laser printers, copier and fax.... all take the same toner and drum unit...plus I got all those gutted 1440 lasers sitting there if any of mine break....

Ben

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
We have a printer/copier repair place nearby that rebuilds printers. If your happy with your HP III just have it rebuilt. Or swap it for a new (rebuilt) one. Their excellent machines and you will probably not find anything that works any better. Newer printers are IMHO not as well built as the old work horse HP's are. Matter of fact I have them looking for me a 4m(?) that will do tabloid sized paper now.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Ben,

Thanks for the advice. I had to leave it with the buyout and now using the old HP laserjet 4. If I ever have to buy a new one I will defenitly be going with the brother again and remebering your advice.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
I've always used HP's. You can buy a repair CD on Ebay for about $5 and you can buy replacement parts elsewhere to keep an HP going for a very long time. I've been buying up used LaserJet 4's for a few hundred bucks and they go forever. There really isn't much of a parts market for other brands of printers.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I'm too mechanically challenged to attempt to either repair one, or buy a "refurbished" one - I would get the one that would only run a week or something.

I have an HP 2100 - have had it 4 years, never ticked wrong, I buy refilled cartridges for $59.95 and it has been cranking out about 2,000 pages a month. My next buy (unless everyone goes to EDI) will be a color laser - I use an HP Business Inkjet now and it seems real efficient and the cartridges last a long time. Gee, I hope I don't jinx mine by bragging on it! P. S. If I had a good repair person, I would rather have the HP III repaired. We had one where I worked before and I don't think it would die if you shot it!

John Hassler

Professional Status
State
California
Look for a used HP4000. About $250 and is a real work horse. 17 pages per minute and the 27X cartridges are common and cheap on ebay. Also has a powersave mode unlike the IIIP (if I recall as I gave my IIIP away long ago)) so you can leave it on all day and not hear that jet engine roar. There is also a "T" (dual tray), "N" (network) and "TN" versions too. I have the 4000N with two 500 sheet trays (one letter and one legal). Look on Craigslist or ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks