• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Ca Licensing Request time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHawk

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
:new_newbie:

So I took my state test about 6 weeks ago and I'm waiting on the results but I was curious when I get the results (assuming I passed) I know I have to apply for my license but will it take 90 days for them to get back to me like it did with the application to TAKE the test?

If it will can I get my apprenticeship while waiting for the license or do I have to wait until I have it in my hands to even look for one? *I know its a trainee license but I'm not really sure the steps after taking the test ha ha!*

jakeboeger

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
You might want to contact your testing center.

When I was first licensed I received my results from the testing center the same day. I took the test in Oakland, CA

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
jake: You gotta persist in reminding others about Oakland...still waiting for the ghost of Kenny Stabler to return...

Annelle

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arizona
DHawk,

You need to call the testing agency, and have them send the results to OREA, who is waiting for the results. I'd see if they will send you a copy as well, so you will know what you need to do in the meanwhile. The current practice now is to notify pass/fail results immediately at the exam site but the people who took the exam early on, got caught in a sink hole.

Good luck!

Annelle

Professional Status
State
Arizona
DHAWK,

You are allowed 400 hours towards your license where you do 75% of the work, and must be named on the report as having done significant assistance, along with the duties you performed. It will take a little time to get you up to the 75%, so if you have a mentor, perhaps you can start familiarizing yourself with the forms, software, and start learning how to pull and analysis data. You might want to tell him or her that you are willing to come into the office and help as part of the learning curve until you get your trainee license, and/or competent enough to do 75%. There are also different kinds of related experience that you cannot claim as experience towards your license that you should know as well (drive-by's for example). You would not be signing the work, until you have a license, physically in hand. And at first, it is doubtful that you will earn any money. Your mentor must be a Certified Residential, or Certified General.

I hope this clarifies some of your questions.

DHawk

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
I was told that they had just re written the test so I had to wait for the curve which was fine, turns out I failed but I feel like I got ripped off :( I scored 83% but they said a pass was 100%, seeing as this is (for me at least) an on the job training type job why is it that you have to get 100%! that seems ridiculous!!

Annelle

Professional Status
State
Arizona
I think there is a misunderstanding somewhere. I thought I read somewhere that a passing score was 100 out of 165 for the trainee license level in California. (Don't hold me to this).

You will need to get another admit letter from OREA to retake the test, once they have received the results from the test center. You can even pick it up from them if you are near the Sacramento area.

DHawk

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
for a second thats what i thought but that would make a passing score only 60% and that seemed WRONG

I know about having to get another letter, does anyone know if I'm going to have to wait another 90 days for the letter?

Annelle

Professional Status
State
Arizona
No, it takes about 2 weeks or less usually to receive. OREA tries to get those out as soon as they can. The pass rate for Cert Res upgrade was about 22%, so they were taking a look at that.

I realize that you are a little frustrated, but keep in mind that it is not unusual to have to take the exam more than once with a limit of 5 times.

Rather than go into details and speculation why there are all this new changes, I'd like to say the intent is to better the industry in general for the new arrivals, in each level, to weed out the ones that don't want or can't understand the amount of ethics (as one example) involved.

Sasha Lynn

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I took the General exam one week ago, received my fail grade after an exhausting eight hour. I am studying using Learnappraise software. For those of you who have passed the new State exam using this software, where where you scoring on the practice exams? I was in the 80% are should I have been much higher in the "green" zone? Any other suggestions on improving my study rountine? I was studying between 2-4 hours a day for several months. Looking to retake soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks