• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Ca Trainee Exam Scope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhencai

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
According to OREA's Licensing Requirement Handbook, some of the topics, such as direct capitalization and cash flow estimates, are covered on certified general examination but not on residential license examination. So I can safely assume that I won't see those questions on my test, right?

Sorry, this question seems to be stupid but when I took IT exams, there were always questions out of scope.

Thank you guys!
Zhen Cai

Steve Johnson

Freshman Member
The school you went to should give you a general outline of what will be on the test, some states do that too. Study everything in the that outline.

Tom Foster

Professional Status
State
California
zhencai,

Are you a CCIE ??? I got my CCNA and MCSE a few years back. Have things gotten so bad in tech that a CCIE would want to be an appraiser ????

For the past 17 years I have been doing both ( neworking, databases, web ) as well as appraisals.

When everybodys "refied" and no one wants to buy and sales slack off, like back in 1990 -1995 the pie will shrink and it will be vacation time.

If you can pass the CCIE test. You will have no problem passing any Appraisal test.....

Tom

Tom Foster

Professional Status
State
California
zhencai,

Are you a CCIE ??? I got my CCNA and MCSE a few years back. Have things gotten so bad in tech that a CCIE would want to be an appraiser ????

For the past 17 years I have been doing both ( neworking, databases, web ) as well as appraisals.

When everybodys "refied" and no one wants to buy and sales slack off, like back in 1990 -1995 the pie will shrink and it will be vacation time.

If you can pass the CCIE test. You will have no problem passing any Appraisal test.....

Tom

zhencai

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Well I still have a pretty decent full time job doing networking. But I figured that I can't do IT forever (you know being an IT guy, I have to study everyday to learn the new technology)

I think doing appraisal is fun. I can be my own boss---of course, after I get real license. Who knows how long it will take, we'll see.

So you do appraisal as part time job? How long does it take you to get 2,000 hours?

Thanks.

Tom Foster

Professional Status
State
California
zhencai,

Back when I got in (1985) there was no license needed. Then 7 years later in1992, I got certified. Back then, the license application was streamlined, and the industry was simple back then, I never had to prove 2000 hours, I had over 10,000 hours, but no proof was needed. They keep raising the bar these days.
I took The Society 101 and 102 - ( Now it the apprasial institute ) Along with 5 other college apprasial classes and I was in and out of the test in 30 minutes.

I would keep up the networking and don't be what the experts call an "appraiser worker drone" this is an appraiser who just does easy residential properties and never grows. He becomes an idiot with clipboard and camera, never doing commercial or learning other skills.

When AVMs go mainstream, the typical appraiser worker drone will be out of work and have no back up plan in place.

Many of the older appraisers with 20 years plus in this biz, can't get any other job because appraising has very little transferable skills.

You will learn more in the first

I know I will catch some heat for this, but driving around, measuring houses, taking photos, and filling out forms is simple after you have done it a few years, those people get stagnate like moss clinging on to the bark of a tree - They are alive - but not growing.....

Peace,

Tom

zhencai

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
You must be a superman. How do you mange to handle selling homes, appraisal and networking together? Man!

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Zhen Cai

Tom Foster

Professional Status
State
California
I'm just used to it.

5:30AM to 6:45 - run, ride, swim

7:00 AM - eat breakfast

8:00AM to 10:00PM - 14 hours of RE sales, apprasials, programming, helping wife with nurse registry, stock market, emails, updating website, work on our SQL server, etc.

10:15 PM - Listen to coast to coast

11:45 - In bed, eyes slammed shut.

Last vacation - 3 months ago, 6 days on the island on Kauai, scuba, boating, hiking, eating.\

Next vacation - December 2003 - 2 weeks in Cebu - best time of the year to go........

Peace,

Tom

Tom Foster

Professional Status
State
California
I do have 2 kids, 17 and 19.

They come over to the office a few times a week help out from time to time after homework and sports. The 17 year old is on the swim team in High school and the 19 year old in an engineering student.

I'm 41 years old and our morning hour of Triathlon training keeps us all in great shape. We follow a huge tree-lined loop trail for the riding and running. As long as I can get them out of the house with their shoes on the trail, we won't be back till at least 1 hour.

Our pool is not heated and after a brisk 15 minute swim, the wife rings the breakfast bell.

Peace,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks