• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cabbies Say The End Is Near As Uber, Lyft Come To Logan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
This is an interesting topic about changing economics in the country. I have moved it to spur more discussion. No political posts will be allowed. We can remove them faster than you can post them. :)

Amy Perkins

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Robots are taking over America... Lol, anyone see their driverless cars.

chad hampton

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
From the last few uber rides I have taken, it appears the cabbies are either moonlighting as uber drivers or have already made the switch.

A $60 cab ride costs 25 for uber. I don't know why cabbies still exist, or why uber leaves so much money on the table.

Flakey

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
A $60 cab ride costs 25 for uber. I don't know why cabbies still exist, or why uber leaves so much money on the table.
A cab ride for $60 is not supportable without regulations giving the cab companies a monopoly. Same with rotten service and filthy vehicles. I don't think Uber is leaving that much on the table as much as providing an alternative based on market driven fares and better service. I know I use Uber way more than I ever did cabs. Hopefully, the cab companies will up their game and try to compete rather than attempt to destroy competition with requlation.

chad hampton

Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Uber is working in a free market, cabs are working in a price-fix market.

True. Once uber takes over the entire market, we'll see where fees goes. I honestly don't know how they get drivers - I have a friend that drives on some weekends, and busy nights for extra money, but I've run the #'s, it hardly seems worth it. If you get a few bucks in tips every ride, it might be decent, but half the riders don't even tip.

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Nice article UC, in fact it hit close to home. We were in Boston over the holidays, used Uber to leave Logan, but used a cab to go back since the return was a 5 AM flight and I didn’t want to risk getting some millennial uber driver and being a half hour late, plus you cannot book Uber too far in advance, not sure if that’s Uber rules or Boston blue laws, it was Sunday morning after all. 

Anyway, the cab ride was uneventful, in previous years I always got some cranky Bostonian cabbie…pasty white, red headed & grumpy (like my in-laws) and dropping F bombs every other word, talking about the Celtics game and inevitably there would be a snarky comment about how I talked funny, all the while he would pulling his f##*ing “cah” into the traffic. This time I got a driver who barely spoke English, I asked him about the Celtics game and he didn’t know what I was talking about, but he was polite. Uber will have a presence at Logan until the Southies decide to break some Uber driver’s legs, speaking of which, when is Whitey Bulger up for parole? That's his department.

Last edited:

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
There is a parallel between the Uber vs Taxi situation and the Appraiser vs Alternative Valuation situation.
The taxi driver must have a special license issued by the government and is required to provide his services according to government regulations. The Uber driver has no special license or qualifications and is unregulated but is allowed to compete with and undercut the taxi driver.

The Appraiser must have a special license or certification, which is difficult to obtain and expensive to maintain and must comply with government regulations (USPAP etc) while
the alternative valuation provider (BPO's etc) have no special license and are totally unregulated but are allowed to undercut the appraiser.

In both situations the government is at fault holding the licensed and regulated person to a high and expensive standard and then allowing unlicensed people to provide similar services at lower prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks