• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Cable Modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Stefan

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Florida
Hello,

For those of you who use cable as your connection into the cyber world. I would like to know do most of you rent your modem from the cable company? If not what kind of cable modems are you using. I have been pricing them. They don't seem that terrilby expensive. It would seem better to buy one then to rent one for $5 a month from the cable company. Then I would also need a router to hook up my laptop. I was looking into a motorola brand that apparently has a usb port. Which from my understanding eliminates the need for a router.

Any thoughts?

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
My cable company uses Motorola and the tech says he has almost ZERO problems with them. They used RCA I think it was and he said they were junk.

Now, my Motorola uses either USB or a Network connection to the computer. If your looking at the same modem you can't hook up two computers to it.

I use a NetGear router and works very well. Simple set up.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I'm no computer geek, but I understand that the router also acts like a firewall and 'hides' your computer from most hackers. I've been hacked before and will never take that chance again. Had me shut down for 2 days while my computers were cleaned up and restored. Modems are easy to hack through without at least 1 good firewall so make sure you are covered. My nephew geek/guru swears by the router, so I have it and Norton. I was amazed at the hacker attempts for the first couple of weeks since my IP address was 'out there' in the hacker world. Haven't had an attempt in a very long time now.

The modem is GREAT!!!. Mine is modem service is billed with my cable TV and all totaled, is pretty cheap; no 'rental' of the modem is involved, I would have to pay for the modem if I ever stop using it and don't return it. Guess the costs of renting vs buying is going to depend on your cable company.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I would recommend an ethernet modem and a router. The router will be a pretty effective firewall. Also, should you ever want to share your internet connection between two computers or network two computers the router makes that possible. I have also heard that some people have trouble with USB modems, and that some of then consume more than their share of system resources.

If you use a laptop get the wireless router and set yourself free! I have seen the wireless routers on sale for under $80. If you are absolutely sure you will never have a laptop, go ahead and get a wired router for under $50.

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Also be careful about wireless networking if you don't know how to keep others from "sniffing" your wireless signal and hacking in or just using your internet conection. Granted all of this can be prevented with the proper settings on the router, but most people I see just DHCP to make their lives easier, or the IT guys life easier. However, that makes it very easy to hop into your network. So if your office is close to anything else, take precautions.

Josh

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Originally posted by Joshua Fookes@Apr 13 2003, 02:51 PM
Also be careful about wireless networking if you don't know how to keep others from "sniffing" your wireless signal and hacking in or just using your internet conection. Granted all of this can be prevented with the proper settings on the router, but most people I see just DHCP to make their lives easier, or the IT guys life easier. However, that makes it very easy to hop into your network. So if your office is close to anything else, take precautions.

Josh
There is nothing wrong with using DHCP in itself. The problem lies when people do not take any security precautions such as enabling WEP as a minimum. Anyone with freely downloadable software such as Netstumbler could easily get on your network whether or not you use DHCP if you take no other precautions. The default IP ranges of all popular routers are well publicized and it would be pretty easy to come up with the right IP # if DHCP were disabled, but no other measures taken.

In addition to using 128 bit WEP one should enabled MAC address filtering and also turn off SSID broadcasting.

Joshua Fookes

Professional Status
State
California
you are right Wanye, lots of things you can do to HELP seal things up

I just thought it would be healthy for people to consider making their networks more secure. There are definite steps people need to take. And I'm sure you know more about this stuff than I do.

Let's face it if somebody knew you were wireless and wanted to bad enough, they could probably get in. But those guys probably go to bigger fish. Hopefully

The main thing is some people just want to "borrow"/steal another persons high speed internet conection for a while, they might not have hacking intentions, just bandwith desires. ie some friendly neighbor. B)

Josh

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
We rent the modem. Had them replaced twice, no charge as modem and repair is included in the cost. We use a Linksys router in line past the modem as we found our system wide open when the cable provider went from HOME.COM to it's own system. Got hacked, not serious. So, put a Linksys with password protection in line-totally blocks any outside hacker. I know, we had someone that knows how try to get in. The router connects several computers through various hubs to the modem, only requires 1 IP address for the modem. The speed ROCKS!

The only problem is that the cable provider's system sometimes forgets we're out here and we have to reboot the Linksys to re-establish the IP address.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks