• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Calculating GRM for single family residential. None of the rentals have sold in the last year.

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
I am appraising a single-family investment property. None of the rental comps have sold in the last year. How do I calculate a reliable GRM?

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
You can do rental surveys for each of your sales to see what their market rents would be, thus *implying* their respective GRMs. Or, you can find less directly comparable sales that did sell with rents and select from that range. If such data is available.

Sometimes your rental listings will have a recent sale in their sales history, too.

Dublin ohio

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
Use any SFR rental that has sold. Does not have to be a comparable rental

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Oklahoma
I went outside the neighborhood and pulled 27 rentals. Three of them sold within the last year. Thank you for the feedback.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
The GRM is a rate, an expression of the relationship between sale price and income. Has that changed over time or distance? It may be fairly stable.

eta: just spotted the OP's last post--you got it!

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
"So let it be written. So let it be done."

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
A few years ago I was informed that the GRM is always 100. :unsure:
An accountant I knew used 91. His sinking fund analysis of interest and income suggested that was the appropriate number of months necessary to recoup the investment. He also used that to vet a purchase of a rental. If you paid $91k then you should get $1000 a month rent. If it wouldn't rent for that, it wasn't worth the 91k.

When I couldn't find sales that rented, I tried to find rentals and compared to similar homes that sold as a proxy. In small towns that seems to be reasonable. I am working on a duplex...All my sales are identical halves. My subject had a larger 3 bed duplex with a 2 bed duplex, and the larger unit is larger than any comps. Will the income help? Nope. The occupant has been there since 2001 and her rents are below market substantially. Whattodowhattodo....

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
If there aren't sale properties which strongly compare with rental properties, it is a strong indication that a rent multiplier isn't a very reliable approach to value. I say that a lot.

BRCJR

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
Unless the SUR is in a predominantly rental market the most probable buyer may not be an investor. It may be an owner occupant. The GRM has little to no weight in those cases.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks