• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

CALIFORNIA Certified EXAM NEW

Status
Not open for further replies.

al002kim

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I just took the new exam for Certified Residential Exam, everything is new and I just found out that it changed everything on the day of exam. Couldn't use the Financing Table (gotta have a HP calculator from now on), instead of 100 questions now it's dang 165 questions divided by 2 sections (83+82 with 30min break). In the end, they don't have the score, they said it's currently under evaluation and blah blah... I feel like a lab rat!! Honestly, the questions are very unclear and some of the answers don't match with the question... Even 1 simple question which has living area calculation the drawing and numbers were very small and unclear...
Anyways, I don't know even when I'm getting my scores but I will complain thru OREA and appraisal foundation for these silly changes...

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Just curious how prepared do you feel you were? How much time did you put into studying? This is certainly bad news, I am taking my next week, and the last thing I wanted to hear was it was confusing and a work in progress. Good luck whenever you get those scores.:new_2gunsfiring_v1:

al002kim

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
If you took the old one previously and went over to the cram exams, you wil be all right. Although just be prepared its very extensive with all those questions, mainly because some of them were unclear... Good times

Wil in Norcal

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
just curious, have you received your results? I was wondering how long it took to get results back for the exam? The old test was immediate.

app2000

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
North Carolina
cram?

If you took the old one previously and went over to the cram exams, you wil be all right. Although just be prepared its very extensive with all those questions, mainly because some of them were unclear... Good times

What is the cram exams? is this a section on this forum?

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
Just a devious thought.....do you think the state "adjusts or alters" your score due to your experiance or background/etc. Do board members have any imput? I've seen the gammut from the appraiser with a "0" IQ passing on the first time to a MBA with mensa possibilities failing 5 times in a row. In NYS you cannot view the original exam when you challege the results, you are limited to see what the state will allow. I lost a great appraiser to Florida because he could not (5x) pass the NYS exam.

bishop

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
fritzvogel,
the reason why anyone pass or fail the appraisal exam is that they did not prepare for it properly. i firmly believe there is no state intervention.
sometimes ppl who think they are smarter than most folks tend to do the worst, since they are so arrogant and cocky that they underestimate the exam. can't pass it if you don't know the material. from my experience, the exam prior to jan 2008 was very straight forward and easy. it seems like they want you to pass the exam. there were no trick questions. most questions were vocabularies and very few math questions.

Just a devious thought.....do you think the state "adjusts or alters" your score due to your experiance or background/etc. Do board members have any imput? I've seen the gammut from the appraiser with a "0" IQ passing on the first time to a MBA with mensa possibilities failing 5 times in a row. In NYS you cannot view the original exam when you challege the results, you are limited to see what the state will allow. I lost a great appraiser to Florida because he could not (5x) pass the NYS exam.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California

I don't think that occurs in my state.
However, I'm not sure grading on a sliding scale is a bad idea (hear me out): There is a minimum set by the AQB; that's a national standard. But what if in my state there is a significant surplus of appraisers? Why not increase the passing rate to 78% from 75%? Isn't that what goes on with the State Bar Exam?

Yes, I know this raises a lot of issues (who decides when there is a surplus, who decides what the passing score is, etc., etc., etc.). Nonetheless, as an idea I think it is worth some consideration.
(That it could be practically introduced and achieve the desired results remains to be determined- however the standards-bar for new licensing was raised both in qualifications and in difficulty of the test- so we know the concept itself is viable in some form or fashion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks