• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

California Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldridged

Freshman Member
Hello,

In the exam for Trainee/Licensee in California, is an Amortization table provided? It seems some questions might be asked that one would think the table would be critical in order to answer the question....meaning they just want to know that you know how to read the tables. Any recent California testers?

Thanks so much..................Doreen

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I passed the second exam a month ago. I got 70 at the first time....,failed...., but made it at the second time. When I was failed, they gave the overall evaluation of the test result. It was very, very helpful. I could see what my weakness areas are and focused on those areas for the second try. It worked!

At the test site, they don't provide anything except one pencil and a couple of blank paper. Just memorize the formulas. It is not that many. Sinking Fund Factor, Present value of one dollar/period, future value of one dollar/period, Amortizing Mortgages payment, IRR, AIRR, and some cash flow calculations.

Ah,,,, and mean, median, variance....,

Good luck, Doreen!

<Daniel>

baldridged

Freshman Member
Thank you Daniel! Test Anxiety is at a peak right now.......I take the exam next Saturday.

I had thought that if I did not pass the first time, I'd at elast havea better idea as to what to expect. Your input helps!

Thanks for the wish of luck!

Doreen

Charles Hundley

Freshman Member
Baldridged,

I took the CA exam about 2 months ago. When I walked in, they informed
me the only things I was allowed to take in was a calculator, and an amortization table, as I recall. I didn't have the table, as I was led to believe they didn't use it on CA exams. I then got the bright idea to rip it out of my Q&A book, then remembered I didn't bring it. I got lucky apparently, because I passed. The easiest way to be sure, I suppose, would be to ask when you make the appointment for the exam. Good luck!

kevin pyne

Freshman Member
Doreen

I took the CA exam in early July and passed the first time. I reviewed the entire appraiser text book for two weeks before I got up the nerve to take the test. I had heard that 50% of the folks who take the test fail the first time. When I did take the test I was suprised at how much I knew. I don't know what my score was as they don't tell you that if you pass but it was a relief when they said I had passed.

As for the Amortization table, there wasn't a question on the test that required me to use it. However you are allowed to take in a copy of the 6 functions of a dollar, but again I didn't need it. You can take in a calculator, I had a financial calculator which helpped on a few questions. But overall there are not that many financial questions.

My recommendation is to study the book, take your time at the test, you have 4 hours to complete it, at best it will take you 2 hours to complete the test that gives you plenty of time to review any questions that you are not too sure of.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Kevin

baldridged

Freshman Member
Thank you Kevin! Steadfast into the studies this week I go. After my exam this Saturday I will be sure to add my 2 cents here(regardless of the results) to share what study tools I felt helped most in my endeavor. I appreciate your advice!

Congratulations and best of luck to you!

Doreen

Kelly S

Professional Status
State
California
Here's a tip from when I took the California test (and passed first try!):

The minute you get into the room, write down any formulas you have memorized onto your scratch paper. That way you can let go of them and not worry about it. Also, they make you turn in your used sheet of scratch paper when you get a new sheet, so write small!

Good luck!

jenalleman

Freshman Member
has anyone out there taken the test in oakland?? I have heard good things about the test site in sacramento but was wondering if oakland is just as nice??

Yellow Fin

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
I did.
It is only two miles away from my house.
I wore a short pant and a sandal. I should have wore a long pant..,I think they set the temperature like below 70 or something. I finished my second exam in 2.5 hour and left without reviewing the test. (Actually I make more mistakes when I review mine)

It is not bad. About 20 Dell computers hooked up with the server and it worked like pentium 200mhz. Check the green paper and call them up. Ask them if you need more details about the site.

<Daniel>
*The test center is on the second floor. It has no windows.

baldridged

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the advise and info all! I passed this AM :beer: and am EXHAUSTED and Exhiliarated. I want to sleep for 48 hours. Exam was not quite what I had expected, whatever that was. No particular study tool or book helped more than another in my opinion. It was comprehensive and challenging. And a fair assessment as to one's overall knowledge, again, in my opinion. I've taken and passed tech exams for my MCSE, A+ and Netwrok + Certifications, and this exam was a better test of overall skill on the subject at hand......my opinion strikes again.

Hope that helps anyone who is curious. Feel free to ask for any further info.

Yawn.......... :asleep:

Doreen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks