• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

California Requires Publication Of Appraiser CE Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York

California Requires Publication of Appraiser CE Information

California Gov. Jerry Brown on Sept. 30 signed into law Assembly Bill 1381, which requires the state’s Bureau of Real Estate Appraisers to provide online information regarding continuing education courses taken by appraisers.

The bill was sponsored by Assembly Member Shirley Weber, who stated, “By listing an appraiser's continuing education courses, the public will have a better understanding of who appraises their property. In addition, businesses would be better able to evaluate candidates and select appraisers with certain specializations.”

A previous version of the bill would have required appraisers to obtain qualifying and continuing education in the valuation of sustainable real estate assets, including solar and wind power generation installations and energy-efficiency measures. Appraisal Institute chapters in California, operating collectively as the AI California Government Relations Committee, successfully lobbied for changes to the bill, arguing that it would be inappropriate to impose this type of continuing education requirement on all appraisers because some specialize in the types of appraisals (right of way, for example) where valuing sustainable real estate is not part of their practice.

Read more on California’s new law, AB 1381.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
For mortgage lending, it all about the fee and turn time, not if you are SRA, MAI or special CE courses.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Good post, Mike!

I know in our AI Chapter, we talked about the issue of mandatory "green/renewable" education. The legislature, in its wisdom, thought it imperative that all appraisers learn the benefits and valuation techniques involving renewable energy and sustainable building techniques.
The only problem was that not every appraiser deals with residential (or even commercial) improvements where such factors need be considered. The CA AI government relationship committee argued it much better to have the individual appraiser determine if such CE is relevant to his/her business practice and that if it was, the appraiser would take the courses (as I have) or be left behind in the market. The legislators agreed and modified the bill.
However, I do think they made it part of the basic education requirement (which I don't think anyone had a big issue with). So new entrants will be required to take a basic class. But it won't be a required CE course (right now, we are required to have the USPAP update and a 4-hour laws & regs class (11-hours); the other 45-hours is appraiser's choice).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks