• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cambridge Who's Who-POSSIBLE SCAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnordquist

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Today I got a letter from 'Cambridge Who's Who', so I glance at it and throw it on the table. Wife comes home from work reads it and says, "Congradulations" you got accepted to this 'Cambridge Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals in Real Estate' Honors Edition, it goes on about they want a biography, list of achievements, blah, blah etc. and I will be included within the registry of professionals. Last line in the letter says, "There will be no cost to be included in the registry"

Being as skeptical as I am, I google it and find 50% of the posts claim scam that costs them $800-$1000, and 50% claim it an invuluable resource.

I'm guessing if I got one, 5000 other appraisers should be getting one in the mail soon. Make your own decision just research the internet first.

It's bad enough the mortgage brokers want to scam us, now junk mail internet predators are after appraiser too.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
A couple years ago I got "invited" to be included in Who's Who. This is junk, they want you to buy the book with your name in it, but I filled it out anyway.

I stated i was a huge developer of adult books and movies, I let it be very clear that I was in the **** industry. Sure enough they were going to include me because I later got a phone call to verify my information and sell me the book.

38Scarcello

Professional Status
State
Washington
I got something very similar, but it was from The Biltmore Top 100
or something to that effect. After 'getting accepted', and hearing
some lady talk for about 10 minutes, I cut her off and asked how
much. It was originally about $500, but I talked her down to about
$250. Overall....I was never really interested.

tjcou812

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
I got the same thing last week. It went straight to the garbage can.

Bearslide

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
A couple years ago I got "invited" to be included in Who's Who. This is junk, they want you to buy the book with your name in it, but I filled it out anyway.

I stated i was a huge developer of adult books and movies, I let it be very clear that I was in the **** industry. Sure enough they were going to include me because I later got a phone call to verify my information and sell me the book.

:rof::rof::rof:Quite a sense of humor there.............

Wendy

Professional Status
State
Florida

That is classic!

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
The real purpose is to sell you a book which includes all the others in the "who's who".

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
I have very little patience with "cold call" calls or mailings. I am polite but very short and hang up (or throw away) before they can get me riled.

My habit with callers is to say "Thank you but I don't want to talk about it", or "Thank you but I don't need it."

This week I got a call from out of state and I could have sworn he said he was representing a "directory". I said, Thanks but I don't want to talk about it."

He called right back and chewed me out because he was trying to order an appraisal and said I was rude and he was sick of it.

I humbly appologized and let him rant until he felt better and hung up on me.

Frankly, I still don't know whether he was a cold caller or a potential customer. But it left me with a queasy feeling that I had screwed up.

Unfortunately, my business phone is functioning more for the convenience of salesmen than for my business right now.

MS Rebel

Professional Status
State
Mississippi
Down here they even knock on your door trying to sell 'Jesus'. :rof:

Jehovah's Witness canvass the neighborhood every couple of months. It ALWAYS ****es me off when someone comes to the door trying to preach to me or 'save' me. I just tell them I have my own church and close the door. I do not let strangers in my home - don't care if they're toting a Bible or not.

I was buying gas last fall and some lady called me over - I thought she was lost and needed directions. I walked over to her car and she started trying to hand me the 'watchtower' pamphlet and preach to me. I was not very nice when I replied 'you have to be kidding me. You're in a public parking lot and you're doing this? Don't you have anything better to do?' She sped off. I probably offended her. :rof:

At least when it comes in the mail I can promptly shred it. I need to find a good response for the Bible thumpers who insist on invading my privacy. It appears to be a problem in this part of the world. Didn't see much of it in Rebel land. (Go Rebs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks