• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Can Appraisal Be Made "as Is" If Contract Is Subject To Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fargo1

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Dakota
I recently completed an appraisal subject to repair of cabinet doors and windows that were painted shut, be required to open. Typically I don't open windows and wouldn't have even noticed they were painted shut, but the contract had an inspection contingency removal based on them being operable. So I thought I was doing the appropriate thing by making the appraisal subject to repairs and stating in the appraisal the cabinets and windows are painted shut. Now the lender wants the appraisal made "as is" so they can avoid the inspection fee.

Can I complete an appraisal 'as is' if the contract requires repairs?

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
It depends. It would require an adjustment for the anticipated market reaction to the painted shut doors and windows. Of course if the painted shut windows are in bedrooms then its subject to operable egress windows in sleeping areas.No if and or buts.

timd354

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I recently completed an appraisal subject to repair of cabinet doors and windows that were painted shut, be required to open. Typically I don't open windows and wouldn't have even noticed they were painted shut, but the contract had an inspection contingency removal based on them being operable. So I thought I was doing the appropriate thing by making the appraisal subject to repairs and stating in the appraisal the cabinets and windows are painted shut. Now the lender wants the appraisal made "as is" so they can avoid the inspection fee.

Can I complete an appraisal 'as is' if the contract requires repairs?
The appraiser is not bound by the sale contract, of course if I knew that the BR windows were painted shut, I would condition for repair due to it being a safety issue

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
It depends. It would require an adjustment for the anticipated market reaction to the painted shut doors and windows. Of course if the painted shut windows are in bedrooms then its subject to operable egress windows in sleeping areas.No if and or buts.

Thank you. I'm not sure the market would make much adjustment on it. It should be pretty easy to fix. But I was wondering about the safety issue of a bedroom window.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Ask your E&O provider if you should be concerned over windows painted shut?

Fargo1

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
The appraiser is not bound by the sale contract,
Thank you. This was my initial thought but I wanted some clarity on it.

... of course if I knew that the BR windows were painted shut, I would condition for repair due to it being a safety issue

I was unsure on this as far as legal obligation. But my personal conscience was telling me I needed to call it out for safety concerns.

Ask your E&O provider if you should be concerned over windows painted shut?

That could be informative.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I would make it " subject to" windows opening *** because obviously the buyers have an-issue and health and safety issues are never grand-fathered or waived -by FHA-VA-Fannie Mae and especially if the appraiser has knowledge ( Contract ) because YOU analyzed the purchase contract and it was clear the windows did not open,

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
I would make it " subject to" windows opening *** because obviously the buyers have an-issue and health and safety issues are never grand-fathered or waived -by FHA-VA-Fannie Mae and especially if the appraiser has knowledge ( Contract ) because YOU analyzed the purchase contract and it was clear the windows did not open,
Absolutely the winning answer, covers all the bases.

Mark K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Did you check which windows were/were not operable? All? Some?

If BR windows operate, I'd revised to 'as-is'.

As others said, BR windows need to operate properly for safety reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks