• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Can I Get Info On MLS When I Am Not Licensed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce glaser

Freshman Member
Appraiser Wannabe in AZ wondering if I can get any MLS info on my own? If not, what is required to get that info? Thank you.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Contact your local Board of Realtors and ask them your question.

Steve Gish

Sophomore Member
While your talking to MLS ask them when there next Intro class is. The one here in KC gives them every week and they are $25. They actually have a beginning and advanced class. You may meet a new budding realtor in the class, buy them lunch make friends. If your appraising your own house, tell them about it and ask them for a CMA and a list of the sales for your area for the last year or so. Tell them you'll send them business if you run across any. Networking is always good. Most realtors if they think there's an outside chance at a client would gladly take 5 minutes and give you a list of "comps" for your neighborhood". They may even let you visit they're office and do it yourself.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Stop into a local real estate office and ask for help. The majority of brokers will help you.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
In Wisconsin you have to be licensed (500 hours/test/education, etc.) to be a member of the board of realtors and get MLS. I believe it is different in some other areas. We don't have a trainee license that you can get before doing your first 500 hours, so you have to work with someone who has MLS until that point. I am also pretty sure that you have to be a member before you can take the MLS classes here, although that is probably different in many areas. I guess they don't want to teach people to use the MLS who aren't supposed to be using it.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Michael:

I disagree with your statement that "In Wisconsin you have to be licensed (500 hours/test/education, etc.) to be a member of the board of realtors and get MLS." Your Board may take that position but I believe that, if challenged, the position would be found to be incorrect.

I have been Board President, MLS vice president for several years and was once upon a time Realtor of the Year so I do have a lot of Board background. One must be a Realtor to obtain MLS service but Board by-laws do not even require a real estate license to become a Realtor.

Many of the members in my Board can't understand how I can be Realtor rather than an Affiliate although I do not have a real estate license and haven't held one for more than fifteen years. have been a Realtor for going on thirty one years. (Wow, is that a lot of dues money.)

My $0.02 worth for today

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
That's interesting, Dave. I am a member of the South Central Board, and several years back, when I was starting, I was told that to be a member as an appraiser (I am not an affiliate either) I had to be licensed. It didn't really matter, except that for a while I had to go across town to get MLS access, which was pretty annoying. I never considered that they might be full of it with that rule, but if I ever have a trainee, I might have to look into it. It did surprise me that a realtor organization was unwilling to take my money. Not the typical realtor style. :rolleyes:

ps - Dave, have you found it to be worth the time to be active on the MLS board?

Chris Colston

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
As far as I know NAR changed that ruling in the 1990's sometime. Appraisers can be full member of the local board of Realtors and MLS. Just so long as you pay your dues. I was a sales agent in the early 1980's and became a Realtor. Then I became an appraiser in the same region, so I was still a Realtor. I've also been a Realtor in Akansas and now in Florida and I don't have a sales license in either state. My Board of Realtors office here considers me a broker's office without a broker. Realtor just means you are a member of the board, Realtor doesn't mean you have sell or list property.

Maybe I should hire a broker who can then hire some agents and have some money coming in while the appraisal business is slow.......NAH....too much like paper work :rofl:

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Michael:

You asked
Dave, have you found it to be worth the time to be active on the MLS board?

For years I was heavily involved in the MLS. In the late 1980's I designed the MLS forms and to this day my instructions for "Computing Gross Living Area" can be found inside the front cover of our MLS books.

That said, I am no longer active with the MLS or the Board other than to call the Executive Officer from time to time to vent about how the Board and MLS are going down the crapper. The Realtors don't follow any logical methods for calculating GLA, they don't provide any sort of accurate information and they are not even "trainable" on any of that. We do have some very good Realtors but there is such high turn over and carelessness that the majority of the members are not worth trying to work with.

For example: Our incoming President wrote an eighteen (18) day financing contingency into an offer in June and then couldn't understand why that was a problem. Some leadership we've got.

Now I'm done ranting.

By all means, get involved in your Board activities. I feel I earned the right to rant by being part of the leadership team for so many years. I even held seminars jointly with our major local lenders for the Realtors to teach them about fixed rate considerations, keeping the personal property out of the offer, how to figure GLA and other appraisal issues. I gave up because they always reverted back to their old ways within a few weeks.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Dave - thanks. It is something I have thought about. The ridiculous measurements really get to me.

Chris - I am a full member. My point, which Dave refuted (I assume correctly) is that you couldn't be a member until you were licensed, which requires 500 hours. I imagine that each chapter does it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks