• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Can I start out as a part timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Hi guys,

I havn't got my trainee license yet, but i would like to know how hard it is to start out as part-time trainee?

henry

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
henry,

The hardest part of getting into appraising is finding a supervisor.

Whether or not some sort of part time arrangement can be made would be up to the individual supervisor.

Viking

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Hi guys,

I havn't got my trainee license yet, but i would like to know how hard it is to start out as part-time trainee?

henry

When I started in 2001 I probably made 50 phone calls before I ended up in the right situation. Now, of course the market is much worse and there is a big oversupply of appraisers. Your only option might be to offer to work for free for the training. Make lots of calls to sole proprietors and see if this works. I'ts usually hard to make much $ in the first year anyway. It will take years to get your hours in. Maybe the market will be better then and maybe not. If you have another income don't quit your day job. Good Luck!

henry

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
Thanks for your suggestions, guys

henry

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
California
What are the costs just to start out from where my situation is?

thanks
henry

Jim Onderisin

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Pretty much the ONLY option is to start out as a part timer, especially given the state of the industry.

Ty Sutton

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Part time is a negative in this profession (IMO)

I had a licensed trainee say - I will work weekend and nights....

- that person had a day job and would work after hours - with the expectation that I would be there as well...

Can't do that. I need to spend time with my family...

It is tough to meet deadlines while working part time...

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Hi guys,

henry

At the moment, many licensed appraisers are working part-time...but not by choice.

Now, IF you have a Supervisor Appraiser who has told you that you are welcome to come on-board with such an arrangement, that's a different story.

Otherwise, you are competing against many appraisers who themselves are working at less than full capacity...some pretty tough competition, yes?

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
Right now, even the seasoned professionals are part timers because that's all the work there is.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Part time is a negative in this profession (IMO)

I agree.
IMO, in order to learn the necessary and appropriate skills needed to become a competent appraiser, one has to devote oneself full-time. There is just too much information and too many new and unique situations that occur in the first 2-years for one to absorb the training on a part-time basis.
I speak as someone who has trained 10+ trainees myself. There may be an exception to my belief, and you could be it. However, as someone who has hired trainees and trained them on a regular basis, I would not consider hiring (and I say "hire" as in an employee-status person) who could only be available on a part-time basis. This makes things especially difficult for new trainees in this market environment.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks