• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Can the Sprint Palm Centro be used with a mobile 1004?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
I know ACI Mobile is dead, but is there any palm software that can upload 1004 data to ACI?

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
OSUB,

I do not know of any commercially available/viable software out there for that OS. The ACI program was based (partially or wholly) on someone else's product and simply "hooked up" for data integration. SFREP/WCA also used the same base program, though I don't believe either of them got it going to any meaningful extent either... :-\ But, it occurs to me that perhaps ACI has (or will?) publish their integration spec, so if that is of interest, perhaps you would want to look into one of the several lightweight DIY, DB-based apps and make your own data collector. I'd imagine that collecting inspection data is you main goal vs. doing the actual report (w/analysis, etc.) in the field.

If that is the case, I'd think you be better off looking at the PPC or Windows Mobile platform. I know you also like the notion of a netbook, UMPC or similar device, so you might look there, too. There are some commercially available software solutions there, but they will vary some in their focus and capabilities. Yes, the netbook/UMPC/mini-Tablet hardware costs more and can be a little more bulky, but then the added size also has it's own advantages - a more "full fledged/real PC", larger screen, etc. Most modern smartphones can act as a "modem" for these devices if the netbook/UMPC/mini-tablet does not have wireless broadband built-in or available via "air card"...

We have sketching available for PPC, Windows CE, UMPC and the Tablet environments. We only have data collection available for the UMPC/Tablet environments (not PPC.) It is not integrated into ACI but it does allow for the critical elements and the data can be printed out for your file and you can use drag and drop to paste the desired elements into a form if desired. It could be integrated, but ACI has not done this to date. Note, this is not a sales pitch - I mean it to simply let you know what is available.

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Thanks. I am looking at getting an HTC Touch Diamond or Touch PRO with Windows CE and running Pocket Total to sync the form data fields to ACI.

I have Apex3 on my PC so is there a mobile sketch program that will work with it and an HTC Touch?

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
OSB

Those are both great machines - I much prefer their VGA screens over the QVGA screens seen on so many other devices. I am not a big fan of the small screens, however... I am waiting for the HTC Touch HD http://tinyurl.com/4t2rmy When you are comparing side-by-side, say in a store, compare the 2.8" screen with (say) an iPhone's 3.2" screen - big difference, especially when dealing with sketching. The HD has higher resolution on an even larger (3.8") screen. In my experience, anything smaller than 3.5" makes for too much squinting. YMMV

None of the HTC phones actually run Windows CE - they run Windows Mobile v6.x Windows Mobile is a subset of Windows CE. While this might sound a bit geeky, it is important as none of the appraisal programs run on Windows CE, either. They advertise the Pocket PC OS, which means Windows Mobile v5.x and above. Anyway, the sketch program we have for Windows Mobile is named MobileSketch™ and your Apex v3 has a built-in "transfer" function for the program... :) There is a video at this link http://www.apexwin.com/v5/download/mspp.php which has an overview of MobileSketch. As an existing Apex user, you'll recognize the similarities - using Pop, Ins/Del, etc. There are some differences - enhancements for the fact that doing things in the field "real time" is different than recreating or cleaning up a paper field sketch back at your desktop, but overall, you should be able to hit the ground running. Toward the end of the video, you'll see a short portion showing the transfer function from PPC to desktop Apex. It is shown in Apex v2.9 but it is the same for v3 and v4. Of course, if you already have an Apex sketch for a similar property (i.e. a "template" or a builder plan), you can transfer the file from Apex to the PPC, modify as necessary in the field and then bring it back into your report. Basically, you'll launch Apex from ACI just as you've always done and while in Apex, use the built-in two way transfer/retrieve function to sent/get sketches from the PPC/phone - it is pretty simple, and you don't need any additional utilities, etc.

FWIW, I have attached an old comparison screen shot showing the differences between a low resolution vs. high resolution (QVGA vs. VGA) sketch file. I think you'll see why we recommend high resolution devices...

Hope this helps!

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

/end/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks