• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

~~~Can this be done?~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flygirl 152

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Happy Holidays Everyone!

I have done about 4 REO appraisals during the past 4 months. For the most part the properties I have seen haven't had anything really significant that I have had to call out in the repairs portion of the REO addendum. It's been basic stuff like fixing a small hole in the wall, paint, broken glass on the fireplace door.....you get the pic. Wouldn't you know it, the one today is pretty thrashed, it could be worse of course, but it certainly could be better.

The carpets looked like someone poured black motor oil on them, and the bathrooms are really gross. In one of the bedrooms it looks like from the inside someone duct taped the bedroom door closed, (so you couldn't get in from the inside of the house) and there appears to be some dried blood on the carpet. There are several other issues that need to be repaired but that leads me to my question......

When getting a quote for carpet cleaning for one of my last REO's, I asked the gentleman if I could quote his name and web site address in the report as my reference for the cost. He happily agreed, and said if he could ever help me with anything else, his company does painting and other things that real estate agents need when selling houses.

I haven't done this yet, but was wondering if I were to email him pictures of this house I am appraising now in order to get quotes for some of the repairs needed, would I be violating any confidentiality agreements, or would this create any liability issues for me? My train of thought is that I would be providing a more complete and accurate quote of the items to repair, and I would of course reference his name and company information in the report.

I would really appreciate your feedback regardless of whether it is pro or con.

Best wishes for a joyous New Year to each and every one of you!

Deb

Ion Caza

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
In my view apply the KISS rule. Take the cost from "Home Repair and Remodel" 2007 Guide - Marshall & Swift.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Happy Holidays Everyone!

I haven't done this yet, but was wondering if I were to email him pictures of this house I am appraising now in order to get quotes for some of the repairs needed, would I be violating any confidentiality agreements, or would this create any liability issues for me? My train of thought is that I would be providing a more complete and accurate quote of the items to repair, and I would of course reference his name and company information in the report.
Deb

E-mail him interior pictures of the property for his bid quotes. You are not violating anything unless someone can identify interior components, that would be highly unlikely.

You are doing due diligence for your report in my humble opinion.

bart nathan

Professional Status
State
California
Forget the cleaning sounds like you need a quote for some fresh carpet

Ray Miller

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Not picking on you Deb, but you raise an interesting question for me. That question being: Should an appraiser basic knowledge and use of a cost estimator, have the knowledge or develop the knowledge to establish the cost of repair/cure to a property?

What say you?????

If you need to send off the interior pictures, I would see no harm in doing so as long as you did not ID the property by location or exterior pictures.

lisagruhot

Professional Status
State
Texas
I have run into a lot of REO properties like that here. Carpet ruined, cabinets taken, central air units taken, flooring taken... As long as you don't identify the property I think it is probably OK to send pictures, but I don't know that it will be able to be cleaned from what you describe. It probably needs to be replaced.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Another example of how dysfunctional the USPAP confidentiality rule is to the Appraiser.

If were not 'monkey in the middle', we are caught in 'a dead-end alley'.

The only way to solve the Confidentiality rule is to REQUIRE all clients to agree to let the appraiser talk to people they need during the normal course of business.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
The answer is, "It depends."

That would depend on the confidentiality agreements you have. Were such actions prohibited in your engagement letter? Certainly nothing in USPAP would prohibit you from engaging other professionals to assist with some aspects of the job, but we don't have the details of your contract with the client. :new_smile-l:

Flygirl 152

Professional Status
State
California
That would depend on the confidentiality agreements you have. Were such actions prohibited in your engagement letter? Certainly nothing in USPAP would prohibit you from engaging other professionals to assist with some aspects of the job, but we don't have the details of your contract with the client. :new_smile-l:

Thank you for you response. There is no statement in the engagement letter which states consulting with other professionals is prohibited. In order to clarify the issue, perhaps speaking with the client directly is indicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks