• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Cancelled orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Irvine

Freshman Member
Should I be paid if a lender puts an order "on hold"? In other words the company I work for sends over an order for an inspection, I do my research, pull my comps, show up on time, do the inspection, drive and photo the comps and as I am heading for the next appointment the office calls and says stop what your doing on that inspection, the order is on hold. I don't know any of the details, apparently it fell out of escrow, who knows. Looking at it from the owner's point of view, he didn't get paid so why should I? From my point of view I could have been writing a report for another inspection during that time. Am I unreasonable or is this just part of the business? By the way this is one of his better customers, so he won't charge a cancellation fee. I don't want to seem greedy it's just a really touchy subject.

Thanks

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Its your call. Diplomatically discuss it with your lender. You do not want to lose a client, but you deserve a "trip" charge for your time. Most major lenders will pay you this fee. Many small lenders will not. Is it worth it to lose a $20-30,000 a year client? Is your client understanding that you do not work for free? Make a business decision and learn from that decision.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Here's how I see it....lately I've been having to work most weekends.
So I figure that inspection ($100) and getting to the valuation
point ($100) kept me from going to the
mountains, chop firewood, and watch college
football games. So I have no problem charging
for that canceled appraisal. I might let one slip
for my very biggest clients, but not some little
no-name mortgage broker or appraisal management
company.

RESPECT

elliott

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
It depends on when it is cancelled. We receive the request and it is cancelled before much work is done on it - no charge. We research the comps and do an inspection- we charge a half-fee for inspection, etc. Not making value - 3/4 fee. It all depends on the amount of work. I don't work for free.

Roger

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
3/4 fee for not making value? You really posted that here?

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Y is there such a problem in the Appraisal PROFESSION ?? Hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks